Do you boil in the house ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott-ayling

Reaction score
While the wife was at work today i boiled in the house for the first time and apparently my last time. I usually have the boiler outside in the garden but decided to do it the house. The wife wasn't happy with the smell of the whole house and sticky floors and kitchen cupboards.

Yes...

Open window and back door, put on kitchen extractor fan. If this doesn't work consider upgrading wife to new model with nag fix 2.0

Or just wipe everything down thoroughly with your brew towels in last 20mins of boil...

I've always brewing in the house, but in the old kitchen/diner i didn't notice any residue, recently we had a new kitchen fitted, you never seen such a state, it was like tea dripping off the ceiling, but not all over, just in patches...wiped everything down and repainted the ceiling.

P.S I did have the door closed, because we got a woofer now!

Richard

I am a house boiler & proud-I just wait for her to go out! If I can work chores around a brew she doesn't seem too bothered-especially if I crack out a cider or white wine as well.

Roof lights help-but indoors doors shut,windows open & extractor on.

Maybe you need to remind her just how heavy beer is & if you can make it at home (and for cheaper) thats one less thing to carry when she gets the big shop.

I boil in my workshop with the doors open.
DirtyCaner said:
If this doesn't work consider upgrading wife to new model with nag fix 2.0

That sounds expensive as you usually need the D.I.V.O.R.C.E app as well and there is no guarantee that the Nag fix 2.0 will work in the long term, they tend to develop a fault after 2 years and revert back to default Nag mode, then you are back to square one again. :lol: :lol:

Is there a Contemptuous-Face-I'll-Make-You-Pay-For-This fix?

I boil in the kitchen though our extractor hood is luckily pretty good. Sometimes, all opening a window seems to do is vent it away from the hood and across the rest of the room. A bit of fine door/window tweaking is necessary.

morethanworts said:
Is there a Contemptuous-Face-I'll-Make-You-Pay-For-This fix?

The Contemptuous-Face-I'll-Make-You-Pay-For-This Can be a hard one to get rid of as it is usually in the Root Code of the wife. In fact once they awaken this mod they begin to use it all the time as default mode even for petty things like leaving a dirty spoon on the side in the kitchen. Though this Mod is not life threatening to you or your marriage in the short term it can be bloody annoying and it does usually a develop further fault to include the Winey Vocalisation Mod ver. 2.37 usually repeating the phrase

"I wish you would Bloody well clear up after yourself.......... you are always the same with you bloody beer making"

or

"Oh for good sake I only cleaned up this morning"

graysalchemy said:
"I wish you would Bloody well clear up after yourself.......... you are always the same with you bloody beer making"

or

"Oh for good sake I only cleaned up this morning"

Someone must have pressed reset. They are standard factory set phrases. :lol:

It does depend whether you have the Don't Swear In Front of the Kids Self Censorship Mod installed. :whistle: :whistle: However this unfortunately is an easy one for women to over ride. :lol:

LOL - funny thread for all husbands :lol:
I have also spent a long time looking for a volume control for daughters, or even a mute button.

Simple answer on a full indoor boil is probably going to be just "no". Man's gotta know his limitations...

I have a plan for next week which involves boiling some hops in a big pan (15L from Wilko, bought for the purpose) for five minutes and then leaving on the hob to cool down.

Depending on the response, I either abandon hope of getting beyond dry hopping, or go for the progression to steeping crystal grains & short hop boil.

I sometimes boil on the stove with the extracter fan on. No problems there, but I made one outside and it started raining recently. I moved the gas burner just inside the back door (edge of kitchen) and pointed a fan blowing it outside. Seemed to work, though I couldn't quite see if it was a vigerous boil as the light in that "room" is knackered. I was using the torch on my phone thinking "this could go **** up, I wonder what phone beer tastes like"... fortunately I didn't have to find out. :)

Latest posts

Back