Does it have preservatives??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonkidder

Regular.
Reaction score
After bein forced to go to ikea with the other half. I spotted some 'saft Lingon' syrup in the food section at the end. For those who don't know is basically lingonberry syrup which is a berry that grows in sweeden. Now the question is ' can I brew a cider from it'.

It doesn't say it has any preservatives in it but just to be on the safe side I put some in a glass with some warm water and super wine yeast. After about 3 hours there was alittle layer on the surface and it has gone cloudy. Does this mean it is safe?? Anyone used this before??

google brings up nothing...maybe you could try a very small batch or just throw some in water with a little sugar and see if it takes off.

be careful though, they are VERY bitter and tart when not sweetened!

If it's fermenting it should be fine. Try to avoid boiling if you can, but that may be the only way to get rid of preservatives if it has any.

Lingon Berry,Vaccinium vitis idaea, related to the Blueberry(Vaccinium Myrtilis), rather sour and will need to be made medium sweet unless you enjoy dry tart wines. ;)

After Some inter webbing I have found the ingredients to be:

Wild lingonberry juice 30%, sugar, grape juice concentrate, acidity regulator, citric acid.

Provided the above is the case then go for it :thumb: . You shouldn't have any fermenting issues.

When looking at a syrup or juice and deciding its suitability, look for the following in the ingredients list. Dont forget to check for E Numbers.

Potassium sorbate (E202). This prevents your yeast cells from being able to reproduce.
Sodium Metabisulphite (E223). Great for killing bacteria but stuns your yeast.

The Ingredients below(artificial sweeteners) wont affect the ability to ferment but they will leave a nasty taste in the cider. I know thisfrom personal experience.

Aspartame (E951)
Acesulfame k(potassium) (E950)
Sodium Cyclamite (E952)

alphacento said:
I think pasturizing should take care of any preservatives.

Pasteurisation does exactlty the opposite - it preserves and 'takes care of' any spoilage organisms.

David said:
alphacento said:
I think pasturizing should take care of any preservatives.

Pasteurisation does exactlty the opposite - it preserves and 'takes care of' any spoilage organisms.

ops, pardon my English.

Well if pasturizing does not do the trick then I think that boiling would be the only way to kill the preservatives )although it would change the taste of the product)

Ohbeary you was bang on. I've made some wine using this and back sweetened to medium sweet and it is bang on. Best wine I've ever made. It's got a medium taste with a slight tart taste almost like a cranberry which overall gives a very nice taste. Had approval from everyone who's tried it.

Well this is what's left in my first glass. Will defo be going to Ikea and getting some more.

b0f94cc5-9824-ca7b.jpg

Back