D'oh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rather than syphon from FV to barrel I acquired some small bore tube and attached it into the FV tap - bit of PTFE tape to seal and off we go. Unfortunately I forgot to disconnect the blow off tube so ended up sucking the blow off bottle water into the FV. I hope I'll be ok as

1. It was just water (I know some folk use sterilising solution)
2. Water and bottle were clean beforehand and it was in a brew fridge
3. All the CO2 bubbling through would cause a weak acid to form helping preserve sterility.

There were no unpleasant smells from the blow off bottle so touch wood all will be fine. The brew was a Geordie Mild.

I do however claim Muppet of the Day!! :doh:

Rather than syphon from FV to barrel I acquired some small bore tube and attached it into the FV tap - bit of PTFE tape to seal and off we go. Unfortunately I forgot to disconnect the blow off tube so ended up sucking the blow off bottle water into the FV. I hope I'll be ok as

1. It was just water (I know some folk use sterilising solution)
2. Water and bottle were clean beforehand and it was in a brew fridge
3. All the CO2 bubbling through would cause a weak acid to form helping preserve sterility.

There were no unpleasant smells from the blow off bottle so touch wood all will be fine. The brew was a Geordie Mild.

I do however claim Muppet of the Day!! :doh:

You'll be fine with this, the carboxylic acid made from the CO2 bubbling through would have helped your right. It would have also had its own little CO2 blanket too. The alcoholic content of your beer and the lower pH would have probably killed anything off that did get sucked in.

You've just diluted your beer a little :thumb:

I had to laff ;) sorry, fingers crossed it will be fine.. if not well i doubt you will make that mistake again..

in a similar vein i once was diligent in cleaning and sanitising and rinsing out all the bottles and then used the bottling bucket without cleaning or sanitising realising as i topped it up with my valuable beer, phew it was ok but i can empathise with your concerns..

Latest posts

Back