Double IPA recipe advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyhawkins

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to home brewing having only started FG in December after a couple of less than successful canned kit experiments.

After my Summer Lightning clone which I am currently brewing, I would like to have a go at a mad double IPA, but would like some input, if anyone would be so kind.

I have a few questions with which I need help! I am looking for a massive hop nose when I pour the beer out (similar to the effect of a brewdog beer!)

Recipe:
23 litres
Pale Malt - 8Kg
Carapils – 500g
Dextrose – 1.5kg

Hops:

Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
25g each for 90 mins, 25g each for 10 mins and 25g post boil.
I will dry hop in the keg with 25g of each.

OG: 1.093
FG 1.021
9.5% ABV
EBU 92
EBC 12
Mash Eff: 65%

Total Liquor 36.8
Mash Liquor 21.3
All water treated with campden tablets and CRS. Mash adjusted using burton crystals, mash pH target 5.2

What yeast should I consider using – I am looking at Wyeast 1056 American for the job as I have good success with Wyeast with my other brews(but have not tried this one).

Does anyone recommend any other yeast such as Safeale US 05 as a better yeast for the job? I am looking for a really hoppy, slightly dry beer with low diacetyl.

Would I notice much difference between dry over liquid yeast cultures? I say this as I used dried yeast with my Wherry cans and it tasted pretty awful!

Also, does anyone think there will be sufficient run off with which I can make a further party Gyll so I get a BOGOF? I always like the idea of free beer!

Any help would be much appreciated!

I don't have any experience of using sugar in a brew and 15% seems a bit much, consider using 4% of crystal and 4% of munich and if you like a bit of toastiness 2% of amber and keep your carapils at around 5%, the rest pale malt to get about 1085 OG which at 80% attenuation will get you to a FG of 1017. The Wyeast 1056 is the same strain as US-05, although the US-05 might give a better attenuation.

Hops look good; you might want to consider a recipe I have planned for Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA which uses 3oz Amarillo 2oz Simcoe and 1oz Warrior in a 5.5US gal (21L) for 90IBU, and you mix all the hops together and then add equal amounts every 10mins for a 90min boil; it will make your brew day a bit more active :)

Also a good idea for dry hopping is to mix all your hops together and split in half, do the first for 1 week in a bag fish it out and do the second batch of hops for another week

I wouldn't worry about doing a partigyle at this stage of your brewing career, just concentrate on one thing at a time, good luck anyway :cheers:

Thanks for the post - sorry for time getting back but I have been away in the highlands lost in snow!

Based on what you have suggested I will bin using the dextrose and increase the pale malt accordingly.

Secondly, I will add crystal and look to add munich and amber (although I have never used these last two malts before- what flavours/characteristics will these give?)

I take it that by adding the hops in at different times the bittering is reduced but flavours stay in the brew (so you can add more hops)?

I like the idea of the dry hop using two over two weeks, but when should this be done? Once added to the Keg or in a seconadary after the fermentation period is over?

I will probably use safeale US 05 for this, ferment is usually 22C (not too high I hope?)
Cheers

Back