Dry hopping vs hop tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Covrich. Yeah, I've just read something on the web that agrees with you re dry hopping. Apparently if added too early the hop aroma will be dissipated with the CO2 by bottling/kegging time.
Some brewers even prefer to wait until fermentation has finished.
Do you use a hop bag or loose? Pellets or leaves?

Well this kit in my example comes with pellets.. I will pop them in a muslin bag with two marbles.. the bag and the marbles I will sanitise and take the bag out pop the hops in and drop it in the FV..

My fermentation finished last Saturday.. I didn't really worry about dry hopping based up on fermentation schedule but rather when I am going to bottle.

I've forgotten what the question is! Is there a question? :)

I might try the hybrid evil dog hop tea / chuck the lot in the FV a few days before bottling thing.

The Evil Dog is a done deal and currently conditioning, sorry if that wasn't clear. What I'm asking is, if I follow your suggestion of 500g dme in 3 litres of water, do I add it to the wort at the start of fermentation? I'm assuming I can't add it near the end as with the ED method.

Covrich, the weighted bag is a good idea. I think if I dry hop I'd suspend the bag from the lid with fishing line to keep it off the trub. That way one could also 'dunk' it now and then like a tea bag.

You can add later yes. If it's good enough for the evil dog...

It is likely to extend fermentation time, but that's not a problem. You can add fermentables during fermentation to reduce the strain on the yeast at the start. Useful with high gravity beers, or to avoid making a starter with liquid yeasts.

1068 is very high, what's the kit? Did you add extra fermentables?

I'm going OT with that question (just curious).
Re the OP, has anyone heard of or tried adding hop tea (or extract) at the drinking stage? Could that work?

Hi BT, sorry for the confusion, the 1.068 brew is my own attempt at a libertine close (only in so much as colour, OG ,abv and IBU's) :whistle:

the first one I did I pimped up a tom caxtons real ale kit:
1 kg brewing sugar
250g candy sugar
100g galaxy hops
boil hops for 15 mins in water.
top up to 20 litres with bottled water add kit hop flavour sachet
original gravity 1050 at 24 deg c. adjusted to 1051 at 20 deg c.
1012 finish
add around 2 tablespoons yeast enhancer.
ferment temp 16-20

round 2 a brewferm abdij kit by the book (well almost, only a little tweak honest)

round 3: galaxy hop 2:

1.5kg dextrose, 1.5kg muntons dme, 1kg dark candy sugar

20 litres worth, hence the high og. oh, and lots of hops.

Obviously still learning so we'll see :smile:

Oh I see! Good luck with it, I'll be genuinely interested in your verdict on the results. I like a strong beer myself :drunk:

galaxy hop2 now bottled.

og 1.066
fg 1.004

abv 8.15%.

remaining OT - it does appear to be more successful adding hops 15 mns boil and at flameout than a hop tea.

tastes good even before carb although still not getting the tropical fruit bomb taste I'm after.

A sip from the shot glass after an 80ml hydrometer sample says it's going to be great. My son (a qualified chemist) agrees!

it's not a libertine clone though! The beer feels light but packs a hop and alcohol punch. Will report back in 2 weeks when it's carbed.

one of the on-line calcs gives a 96% apparent attenuation. Surely not as the yeast used (safbrew t-58) is only 75%. Or am I missing something?

I picked up on this idea while browsing the forum and thought it might be worth a try. It seems like it would be a lot more straightforward alternative to dry-hopping to get a bit of fresh hoppiness into the beer.

So I was brewing an Anchor Liberty clone and when I got to bottling, I chucked a few hops in a cafetiere and poured in my priming solution at 85 degC (with the idea that it should be about hot enough to be sterile without vapourizing too much of the volatiles). I let that sit for about 30 minutes while I prepped bottles etc. and then added to the bottling bucket. I used columbus hops for the tea, with a few at knockout too.

Just had a sneak preview of a week-old bottle. It's still got some carbing to do but the hop flavour is wonderful and the aroma seems to have brightened up too.

So I would say, if you fancy giving this a go in a hop-forward beer then don't be afraid, cause it certainly didn't spoil my batch in any way.

Latest posts

Back