Strisselspalt Hop, where can i get it or what is the closest alternative?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info, it kind of sets my mind to rest a little, as in, I am in the right ball park with my plans.

With regard to the malt you mentioned over using a kit, that has crossed my mind since digging deeper into the processes and flavours I am aiming for and if I hadn't already ordered the kit, I would be doing as you say and selecting my own malt extract.

That said, I am all in now so will run with using the kit as a base point and see how it comes out and then at the next brew I will build my own kit, it will probably be cheaper to do so as well over buying a branded kit.

I did consider using 1.2kg of liquid extra light malt extract as my fermentables but took it out of my basket last min and swapped the dextrose and spraymalt in its place.

The more I research the deeper into the labyrinth I go, but I'm enjoying the process.

I did find pre-bagged hops ready to use by the way at Geterbrewed, same place I bought most of my other gear, I just ordered the gear before I considered hops and couldn't add it to my order in time so ended up ordering hops and bags separately else where.

I just ordered the gear before I considered hops and couldn't add it to my order in time so ended up ordering hops and bags separately else where.
As a tip, if you ever find yourself in that position of needing just an odd pack of hops or yeast but not enough for a "proper" order, Crossmyloof are really handy for that as they do free postage. Or at least they used to, it's been a while since I've had anything from them.

As a tip, if you ever find yourself in that position of needing just an odd pack of hops or yeast but not enough for a "proper" order, Crossmyloof are really handy for that as they do free postage. Or at least they used to, it's been a while since I've had anything from them.
Excellent, thank you! I just took a look and they still deliver free up to 2kg, fantastic site with loads of interesting recipes as well.

I'd keep looking for strisselspalt or a closer substitute if I were you.
I don't know, what you mean by empty tea bags, but they sound tiny. I use the very finely woven produce bags from sainsbury. They're about a foot square and the hops look pretty lost in there. That's exactly what you want to give as much contact with the beer as possible. Boil the bag in some water fir a couple of minutes, first.
I'll try and find a better substitute for you.
Well it turned out that the "medium bags" I ordered were only twice the size of a normal tea bag, the picture of them was quite deceiving.
So, thanks to your advice, I picked up a pair of 1ft square produce bags from Lidl for 50p, live and learn!
Thanks again for the heads up on this.👍

Latest posts

Back