Dumping yest - Why?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some say it’s best to get it off the yeast as soon as you can. Off flavours blah blah. I don’t think so personally.

You would be better off investing in a pressure vessel IMO such as an all rounder.

I have that model. The bottom valve is a drain valve and used for cleaning rather than dumping the yeast. Unless you plan on leaving it in the fermenter for months, you don't need to dump the yeast.

Pro brewers can dump the yeast from the bottom, but a lot of time that's to get fresh yeast to propagate into the next brew, rather than just dumping it and pouring it down the drain

I sometimes use the valve in my GF30 to dump the yeast and hop matter before racking to keg, because I tend to add dry hops loose and if it's a heavy addition, the trub can end up high enough to block the racking outlet.

I once used the GF30 to lager a Marzen after fermentation because I can crash the fermenter with the chiller but didn't at the time have anywhere cool to keep kegs. On that occasion I dumped the yeast because I knew it would be sitting there for at least 6 weeks. Not sure if it would ultimately have mattered though!

The feature in conical fermenters is to dump anything really. A number of reasons for dumping yeast and other things...
To harvest yeast
To lower the level of yeast and trub to below the level of the racking arm for clean racking
To remove dry hops to limit contact time
Although you can leave beer on trub for a limited time I don't think any brewer would be happy leaving it on the trub for an extended length of time e.g. if you're lagering/maturing in the same vessel.

It allows you to leave less behind in the kettle, knowing that much of the trub and hop debris will settle in a few days. This can be drawn off and discarded. What settles after that is mainly yeast rather than the mixture of yeast and trub you'd otherwise find at the bottom of your fermenter. It also allows you to remove the yeast, when fermentation is over, for a period of maturing and clearing thus limiting the contact with the air that would otherwise take place in racking the beer to another vessel.
Be careful, though. The cake can sometimes set pretty hard and come oozing out slowly like toothpaste followed by a gush of beer.
I have two such tanks and I reserve them for lagers.

Latest posts

Back