efficient wort chillers for kettle with no tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sometime said:
hi guys great looking chillers...im just getting the kit together for my BIAB set up i've got a 70l pot and i'm a bit scared of making the tap hole :?

I would advise investing in a QMAX cutter at around £10 on a popular auction site. I'd guess you'll be after a 20 or 21mm, but you'd check with the tap specs. I borrowed one for my pot and it made a potentially tricky job very doable - nice clean hole. As long as you can drill a pilot hole, which may require an 8 or 10mm steel bit.

sometime said:
hi guys great looking chillers...im just getting the kit together for my BIAB set up i've got a 70l pot and i'm a bit scared of making the tap hole :? ,i have a newbie question -when the wort is chilled can the yeast be pitched in the kettle & lid on let it do its thing in there..is that silly or not ....cheers

as said, with the right tools a hole isnt a biggy,

Dont leave the beer in the kettle to ferment,
spent hop debris, kettle wall crud could impart off flavours and extracting them would be a lot harder than removing the beer into a fv. let alone sanitation probs of the chilled pot containing the beer..

Back