Elderflower Champagne problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed... Quite vigorously for approx 10mins shaking in the my 27L fermentor... I have been quite stumped honestly. I just added a wee bit more nutrients today and stirred again... Its still fairly fizzy just basically won't hit below 1040... Hallp haha

Dont panic Mr Mainwaring.!!

Most fermentation's will slow as the alcohol increases.
You don't have much choice but to let it run its course

Not much use at this stage adding nutrient you are only risking off flavours
Fresh yeast will not thank you for being dumped into a high alcohol environment either.

Let it go to completion some country wines take months and months to ferment.
You might however have a problem getting an in bottle carbonation ferment going if so you will have to drink it still or find a sparklets soda siphon.
To sum up.> Keep it warm and cosy give it at least 3 more weeks before a right off.

Been looking at the posted recipe again
Have to say i have never pitched 1gram of yeast into anything in my life.

Even for a 1gal demijohn i use a full packet AND make a starter.

This however might be good news for you as an under pitched ferment will be slower in any case
so fingers crossed you might be ok after all.

Yeah the yeast packet said it was enough for 25L so I wasn't sure I figured I should've done the whole 5g instead of 3

Google "pH buffer shells" and you can decide if you want to use some crushed egg or clam shells to get things moving again. You can sterilise them by putting them in an oven for 15 minutes.

I had 50 litres on the go that wouldn't move then I used a mix of egg and clam shells and got it going quite nicely.

Yup when it comes to adding chemicals a proportionate measure is the correct way to go.

Yeast however is a living organism so the same rules don't apply.
When first introduced to a wine must they multiply like the clappers using oxygen dissolved in the must,But produce very little alcohol despite dropping the gravity.
After the oxygen in the must is all used up then they convert the sugar to alcohol,BUT do very little multiplying.
High alcohol fans dose their musts with huge quantities of yeast.

Overall it seems that a lack of a thriving yeast population is the root of what has happened here.
This is not too much of a problem as long as you keep your must sterile.
EC-1118 is just about the toughest yeast going so that is also on your side
You also stand a good chance of being able to carbonate your "champagne" when the time comes.

Sweet! Thank you for the hope! I'm not the most experienced brewer(especially wines) but I am very thorough with sterilisation and attention to detail. But that is really good to know in regards to yeast quantities etc! Because I love a high abv!

Latest posts

Back