Elderflower restart

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have 10 bottles of an Elderflower I accidental made with too much dried elderflower. As hadn't used dried before did a quick google and didn't read recipe fully saw 25g and that was it into a demijohn. Later looked back found that was for a 5 gal and should have used 5g lol. Anyway bottled it, tasted like cats p*ss.

Wanted a cheap way to use this wine up. So 250g sutanas/gal blended with water, quick boil and simmmer for twenty (before it carmelised) with added pint of water. 700g sugar in DJ then added 1 hot cup of tea and 1ltr boiling water. (less likely to shatter DJ if sugar goes in first. tend to add bit by bit until dj warms up before pouring rest in, just less washing up really). Disolved sugar then added the sultana soup, juice from 1 lemon and 1 tsp of Tartaric while still hot.

When hand warm added nutrient, youngs super yeast and pectolase.

Ferment, started within the hour, left for 3 days and strained contents (cheese cloth), 1/2 camden. 6 hours later when overcame camden added 1 bottle of the overpowered elderflower wine. Total Cost £1.02

Seems to be fermenting ok, smells like ef, although only an hour in since adding wine. Hoping this will be a quick ferment and I can do a few more cheaply and get rid of the reminder of the cursed elderflower wine.

Slow down! I've never used dry elderflowers but for years now I've made elderflower from freshly picked flowers.
This sounds a bit like witchcraft but I start the wine and rack it in about January. I then bottle, in champagne bottles, with the plastic "corks" tied down, it when Elder bushes are in bloom the following year. I then leave it a year before sampling...............beautiful!
Pete.

This sounds a bit like witchcraft but I start the wine and rack it in about January. I then bottle, in champagne bottles, with the plastic "corks" tied down, it when Elder bushes are in bloom the following year. I then leave it a year before sampling...............beautiful!
Pete.

Well bottled it, tasted ok this time, will make some more. Tend to drink elderflower young. Isn't all brewing a little like magic :)

Edit: Just started another gallon, will gradually use bottles up.

Back