ELI5 - Keg set up for bottling only

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindormonster

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to give me some pointers on a keg set up to carb and bottle beer only - no dispense at all it will just be for bottling or canning beer

I have watched a multitude of videos on the subject and are well versed on the ins and outs of getting the beer carbonated I just want to find out the best possible way to get the beer into bottles and also any equipment recomendations or things to avoid as there seems to be a lot of low cost stuff from china on the market and im not sure if any of it is any good

Also if anyone has advice on what to buy new and what is fine second hand that would also be appreciated - Looking at used corny kegs here, am i likely to run into any problems such as bad seals that can not be replaced or anything like that?

From what I have read I will need the following -

19l corny keg (s)
CO2 cylinder
CO2 Gas regulator
Gas line

Then some kind of tap or line to connect to the keg to check on carbonation levels - Any advice on this? smaller footprint and easy to clean preferred

now the fun bit - Beer gun - What advice do people have on these what is the best manufacturer for these?

I have also read that I will want to supply the beer gun with thinner line? - Any advice on this?

Also I have been told that I will need to supply the beer gun with lower co2 pressure than the keg so I might need a inline or secondary regulator on the purging line - Any advice on this?

Have I missed anything else?

Also on top of this how easy will it be to carbonate multiple kegs at the same time - Is there anything I can look at now such as line splitters or something along those lines? I will at some point need to carb up more than one 19l keg at a time so I am looking at the options for that now rather than having to redo everything down the line

Is there any stores out there selling a full set up system like I need or is it best to buy parts second hand and save a bit of money?

As always thanks for the help

I'll watch this thread with interest as I bought this bottling gun kit from Brewkegtap and have struggled to pour anything but foam so far.
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/bottle-filler-beer-gun-kit?variant=39507212730449
What I haven't done yet though which is recommended is to chill bottles first so that might be the problem.
Pressure also needs to be low, around 4psi.
I've not tried it in a few weeks now as I've lost my mojo for bottling from keg after repeated failed attempts.

What I haven't done yet though which is recommended is to chill bottles first so that might be the problem.
Pressure also needs to be low, around 4psi.
I've not tried it in a few weeks now as I've lost my mojo for bottling from keg after repeated failed attempts.
From what I have been told a thinner line to the beer gun helps and also having a second regulator feeding the gas line is supposed to help. also the lower psi in the keg can be a cause of the foaming and fobbing

I've used the kegland bottle gun linked above with good results, ensuring the pressure is low (2psi IIRC) and cold bottles.
I also have a nuktap counter pressure filler which I have heard great things about, but not had a chance to use yet (I thing it can be used even if you don'thave a nukatap).

Blichmann beer gun works fine with no foaming issues. It comes with all the beer and gas line you need and the correct diameter. You don’t need a secondary regulator as you can just adjust it down temporarily and the turn it back up again. If you need to carbonate multiple kegs at a time that’s easy you just get a manifold with multiple outputs for however many you need. All this stuff is readily available on maltmiller or brewkegtap.

By far the best bottling solution is a Boel Tap, I’ve tried a few. I have one mounted on a tall freezer and it’s a breeze. Beer keeps just like a commercially produced bottle.

So you’ll need one of those, a keg or 2, gas, bottle reg and a little secondary reg for the purge. Plus various fittings and hoses.

I will take a photo of my set up tonight after my shift.

Blichmamn type ones also work but you chilling your keg right down is advisable to reduce foam issuers.

Cap on foam in all cases, starsan the **** out of everything.

You may as well have a party tap for home use, off that you don’t want that functionality when it’s all there for you already.

Latest posts

Back