Ello' from Shropshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Harvey

Reaction score
Hi!

I am rather new to brewing. Not the first time ever but I brewed up a pale ale kit one time many years ago that well. Tasted like a lager so I dunno if you can really count that. Though it was really easy to drink so.

I have set off a metric tonne or, many litres of wine over the past few months as well as just brewed a beautiful ginger beer that will grow hairs on your chest hairs but other than that I am pretty much a newbie.

That being said, I did buy a Northern Brewer "Brewery in a box" from Beer Hawk but that turned out pretty bad. I just threw away 5 US gallons of sour amber ale. :( To begin with the yeast didn't activate so about 3 days after the wort going into the bucket I managed to put a sachet of Safale 04 I think it was, into the wort. It started to ferment, really really slowly and didn't look too hopeful from the on set. But opening it to bottle it smelt really really sour and had a taste that could turn your tastebuds inside out.

Not sure if it was something I did or if it was just that the kit was sitting on a shelf too long but man, what a let down :<

Not gonna let it get me down though :> Gonna jump in at the deep end and try a BiaB Smash since I want to try and find a nice easy drinker to start experimenting with fruit beers. Gotta run before you can walk.

Anyway. Nice to meet ya.

Back