emptying fermzilla collection bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
My brew is under 12psi and I want to empty the now full collection bottle - do I need to release the pressure prior to emptying the bottle? Im thinking yes as the stuff in the bottle is obviously at 12pis as well and when I unscrew that pressure will release and boom!

It’s wise to reduce the pressure or you’ll get covered in it.

if youre desperate to not vent the main unit you can close the valve and then gently unscrew one of the posts.
this will still spray it everywhere but you “might” have a chance of controlling it.

You will find that even releasing all the CO2 you will still get pressure building up in the container quickly as the CO2 comes out of solution. It’s never a clean job.

Just don’t close the valve and leave it screwed on, it’ll explode

On the fermentasaurus with butterfly valve ( last version had plunger valve) I close valve, place square icecream tub under bottle and then slowly unscrew venting gas and sludge. I have a towel loosely wrapped around the threaded join where I unscrew. I'm patient and it takes a few minutes.
Then empty and wash out bottle and sanitise, lots of spray around valve part to wash off the trub etc.
I don't put dry hoos in the bottle, just remove yeast / trub.
I refill with picnic tap so beer and foam fills the bottle then reattach. This minimises oxygen entry.
Then open valve, happily do this with 30 psi in fermentasaurus.
Letting gas out stirs it all up, stuff rises out of bottle and you lose some of that hard packed down trub.

Back