Hops levels in a Pressure fermented lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I have a simple extract pilsner planned for Sundays Brewday.
the Recipe calls for 35IBU of Saaz..

Now Im going to brew this with Novalager under pressure at 18C

My understanding this will accentuate the hops a fair bit..

to compensate Im thinking about dropping the IBU to around 30.

Whats the collective view?

I've not read about any link between pressure fermenting and increased perception of bitterness, have you any links?
no links as such. I just picked this up from various vids. David Heath makes mention that while under pressure hop aroma and flavour doesnt escape the fermenter in the sameamount that it does using a bubbler or airlock.

I think Im going to go with 30 IBU on this batch and see how it comes out.. Im not a big hophead so a maltier brew will probs suit me

Yes and no.
Whilst hop aroma will be retained more (possibly) under sealed conditions like a pressure fermenter, that won't impact ibu.
Plus hops added for bitterness at 90-60mins will have lost all their aroma by the end of the boil anyway.
So as long as you aren't getting your bitterness from a huge hop drop at 5min, but putting them in at the start of the boil, then you'll be golden.

Yes and no.
Whilst hop aroma will be retained more (possibly) under sealed conditions like a pressure fermenter, that won't impact ibu.
Plus hops added for bitterness at 90-60mins will have lost all their aroma by the end of the boil anyway.
So as long as you aren't getting your bitterness from a huge hop drop at 5min, but putting them in at the start of the boil, then you'll be golden.
thanks Ill keep the boil additions as they are supposed to be and throttle back the hopstand a wee bit.

the Recipe calls for 35IBU of Saaz..

Now Im going to brew this with Novalager under pressure at 18C

My understanding this will accentuate the hops a fair bit..
Ah but are you allowing for the quality of the hops? If the Saaz are from 2022 then they won't be great, and 2023 isn't a lot better. And Novalager can get a bit shouty and hide some of the hop flavour.

Personally I would just stick the recipe and see how it works on your kit and with your taste, then adjust in future.

Ah but are you allowing for the quality of the hops? If the Saaz are from 2022 then they won't be great, and 2023 isn't a lot better. And Novalager can get a bit shouty and hide some of the hop flavour.

Personally I would just stick the recipe and see how it works on your kit and with your taste, then adjust in future.
Already reverted back to 35IBU. and see how it turns out.. todays brewday didnt happen Late start to the day due to product testing last night....

Latest posts

Back