End of brew hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmy glass

Reaction score
When I am starting a batch of fruit wine it is probably better to guess the total alcohol potential rather than measure it accurately with an hydrometer, but it is different towards the end of the fermentation. Does anyone make a hydrometer that concentrates on the range of gravities at the end of wine fermentation, say, 980 to 1020? I went into my HB shop today but they didn't have anything.

Looking forward to your suggestions... :pray:

Phil.

Hamstead Homebrew have some narrow range hydrometers. Unfortunately, the ranges don't fit the original brief and you would have to buy a pair, 950-1000 and 1000-1050.

Why 0.950 ? I've never had anything go below 0.988

Personally, I wouldn't spend £10 on something I'd probably break, and certainly never £24.

I have one of the Hamstead homebrew 1.000 - 1.050 hydrometers and it is well worth the money . . .Of course they are fragile you have to treat it with care and respect like any precision instrument. . . . I've only broken two narrow range hydrometers in the past and luckily both were under a tenner at the time. . . This one is lasting so far . . . . touch wood

I was at a brewing evcent at a commercial brewery last year when I was made chief gravity tester, and handed a hydrometer by the head brewer saying "you can do this I've been drinking and would probably break the damn thing" . . . It was the HMCE duty hydro and at £180 quid definitely one you wouldn't want to drop :shock:

This year he has a shiny new digital refractometer which actually cost considerably less than a CE hydro . . .. although the damn price has shot up since and its now about the same :twisted: :twisted:

Aleman said:
I have one of the Hamstead homebrew 1.000 - 1.050 hydrometers and it is well worth the money
That's fine for brewers, but as Phil said, for winemakers the ideal range would be 0.980 - 1.020, do you know of anyone else who might produce such an item?

I was thinking of investing in a refractometer, although id still use a hydrometer for the initial gravity.

will a refractometer give me a more accurate final ABV value?

metalmickey said:
will a refractometer give me a more accurate final ABV value?
Not necessarily . . . Refractometers are great until the beer / wine / cider is fermenting and then you need to apply complex equations to determine the correct gravity . . . Promash has them built in (other brewing programs are available ;) ) . . . which makes it easier.

Latest posts

Back