Epic recipes needed for first brew in my new house.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_pullin

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Long time no brewing for me im afraid. Been trying to get on the property ladder which im finding is a lot more trouble and expensive than its worth!
Anyway with the end in sight and a move date approaching iv decided to give some thought to the very important question, what is going to be my first brew in my new digs??
Iv booked 2 weeks off for the move and to complete a few jobs i have to do upon moving in and im hoping to get 2 brews done during this time. I want to brew a nice thick hearty stout which im going to condition until winter
and a American Double IPA not unlike the Hardcore IPA Brewdog produce. I had it for the first time when the new Brewdog bar opened in Leeds and its one of the best beers i have ever tasted.

So recipe recommendations anyone? I use a BITB method and have a new 40lt boiler which i will use to mash as well, The Dark Side of The Dark Side as some say on here.
I would ideally like 20lts of the good stuff for each brew.

As always keep up the good work!

Matt

A tip, brewdog dry hop at a rate of 20g hops per gallon. So 100g dry hops for a 5 gallon batch. The ingredients for hardcore are listed here;

http://www.brewdog.com/product/hardcore-ipa

If you want to design a recipe, just use say 250g each caramalt and crystal malt, maris otter to reach OG, and then hit it with a **** tonne of hops. Bitter it to 150 IBU's and then use the 20 to 0 mins mark to add a load of flavour, and finish off with at least 20g dry hops to the gallon, a mixture of all three.

This is my favourite stout, add 5-10 shots of dark rum to a 5 gallon batch and a good few handfuls of mashed up raisins. Rum and raisin stout!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 27.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

1.40 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.2 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %

0.25 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.20 kg CaraMalt (15.2 SRM) Grain 8.9 %

45.00 gm Saaz [3.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.0 IBU

Mind the batch size it will need converting which I can do if you want. But it's a lovely beer, normal enough to enjoy, weird enough to be quirky.

matthew_pullin said:
a American Double IPA not unlike the Hardcore IPA Brewdog produce. I had it for the first time when the new Brewdog bar opened in Leeds and its one of the best beers i have ever tasted.

So recipe recommendations anyone?

Then you might just like my "35th Prime"

It was based on Hardcore and turned out not a million miles away and is, quite frankly, and I don't mind blowing my own trumpet on this one, awesome.

Ok thanks for the reply's! taking inspiration from your brew Calum and the BD website i have come up with this for the IPA. To give it a twist after reading this http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40891 post i might give it a go. Im going to draw off 4lts and reduce it down to 1lt and add back to the boil, hopefully this will give a bit of a caramel back note. Iv amended the recipe to 23lts to compensate. I have stuck to the original hop types from the BD site and im just going to chuck the hops i have left over in as dry hop :thumb:

What do you think?

XXX IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.082 (°P): 19.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.021 (°P): 5.3
Alcohol (ABV): 8.06 %
Colour (SRM): 17.6 (EBC): 34.7
Bitterness (IBU): 106.7 (Average)

80% Maris Otter Malt
10% Caramalt
10% Crystal 60

0.5 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I would say use the 90min as First wort, shift the 30 min to 10 min and add a flame out addition too.

Basically to get that BD thing going on you need layer upon layer of late additions.

Also with a beer like this you will need to mash it for a very light body. So cool and long is the order of the day otherwise you might end up with a really sweet beer. Mine (fortunately I think) missed target so I had to bump up the gravity with sugar - if I hadn't I think it would be too sweet.

Caramelising...? Not sure for this style TBH. The malt should be there but it's all about the hops...

Thanks Rob the rum and raisin stout sounds like a great idea iv put this into brewmate. Couple of questions about ur process, when did you add the rum and raisin? thinking about it could you soak the raisin's in the Rum over night then blitz them up? to get rid of any nasty surprises will this need to be put in the boil say last 15 min?

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 29.9 (EBC): 58.9
Bitterness (IBU): 32.6 (Average)

74% Pale Malt
10% Caramalt
8% Roasted Barley
8% Wheat Malt

3.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

I would say use the 90min as First wort, shift the 30 min to 10 min and add a flame out addition too.

Basically to get that BD thing going on you need layer upon layer of late additions.

Updated accordingly.

So what mash temp should i be aiming for then? 62? ill leave the Caramelizing for another brew then ill probably have my hands full with a hop schedule like this anyway :) I remember reading on here i think that adding sugar does dry the beer out and crisp it up a bit, it is used in a lot of the GW beers.

Mash temp I'm not too sure TBH... Mine was 64/65 and that would have been too sweet if I had got enough out of the grain. Maybe 63/64?

GW's sugar additions are mostly to fill the gap between the recipes the breweries gave him and the actual stated ABV of the commercial beer, some are actually part of the recipe though... The ones I've done I've just upped the Pale to remove the sugar instead. Big beer is different though...

In April I made lovely double stout of pale, amber and black malt, basically 500 gms black, 1 kg amber, top up with pale to desired strength (mine was short of 1.070). Challenger to ~60 IBU then dry hop with anything you like, at least 2-3 gms per litre. Fermented with Wyeast London Ale 3, it is still conditioning, but apart of massive roast flavour (which will fade at the 6 months Mark, I think) it's delicious.

Back