ESB for my first ever all-grain brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Elzibub

Reaction score
So after trying my hand at a succession of kits late last year and early this year, and following up with some extract recipes more recently, I finally got around to my first ever AG brew yesterday.

I'd committed to doing an ESB and after much perusing of different recipes I decided to take the possible "fretting and tweaking" out of the equation for my first AG, so I settled on an 11.5 L AG ESB kit from Brew Day in Nottingham. Service, packaging and instruction were first class - will buy from them again. Base is MO with some Light Crystal, Amber Malt and Roast Barley. Hops are Challenger, Fuggles and EKG with S-04 the supplied yeast.

I'm doing BIAB in a stove-top pot and managed to keep reasonable control at 65-67 deg C during mash. Did 90 mins mash rather than 60 as I didn't think it'd do any harm and I suspect my efficiency in this set up isn't too high. Did a 2L pseudo sparge (pour from jug through bag on colander). Boil-off losses were guesswork for my first go this set up. No crises although I have found that paper teabags won't contain hops for a 60 minute boil! Also, despite top-ups I lost a bit more to boil than expected so the volume into the FV was a bit lower than expected and the OG higher. But that's not a problem.

Now fermenting away happily, apparently this yeast is fairly speedy. I'll report back on first tasting.

I've trawled this forum extensively for ideas, comments and tips over the past few months, so many thanks even if I haven't acknowledged you!

Attachments

• IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4248.jpg
    IMG_4248.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
well done can I ask how you were able to keep the mash temp so stable that is what I struggled with

Fairly constant vigilance and intervention, stir the mash to try and ensure even temperature through the pot, measure temp and a quick blast on the gas if it drops, and stir again.

In future I will start with the mash liquor at about 1 deg C higher as all that grain cooled it down a touch too much at the start.

I guess the alternative would have been zero intervention - to start at about 67 deg C and wrap it up well in insulation and just leave it for 60-90 mins. May try that in future although I suspect a bit of stirring helps with the extraction.

Fairly constant vigilance and intervention, stir the mash to try and ensure even temperature through the pot, measure temp and a quick blast on the gas if it drops, and stir again.

In future I will start with the mash liquor at about 1 deg C higher as all that grain cooled it down a touch too much at the start.

I guess the alternative would have been zero intervention - to start at about 67 deg C and wrap it up well in insulation and just leave it for 60-90 mins. May try that in future although I suspect a bit of stirring helps with the extraction.

I've used the towel wrapped round the stock pot successfully in the past (when the Missus is out obviously wink...).

As you are brewing in a bag are you getting your grain milled to suit? If so mash for 30 minutes the starch should be converted in that time, less of a worry about keeping it at a stable mash temperature for one hour.

As you are brewing in a bag are you getting your grain milled to suit? If so mash for 30 minutes the starch should be converted in that time, less of a worry about keeping it at a stable mash temperature for one hour.
Yes it’s milled.

Back