Essences to flavour your day beer!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was watching a blog on YouTube from someone who started as a home brewer a now runs his own pub and brewery...to see his progression from the former to the latter has been so interesting.
In this blog he says he is going to experiment in small batches using Uncle Roy's Essences.....
This got me wondering if anyone on the forum has already done this and if so with what results?
Obviously cost would come into it and I am wondering if it would be to financially viable or not.
For instance I think a 50 m l bottle is over 6 quid....there's a stronger version which for the same amount is about a tenner.
Its basically extract IPAs I am interested in
So how much would u use to get a decent effect in a 36/40 pint batch?
Also at what stage would you use the essence?
Which essences would be suitable for which variety of beers?
If using essences does that take away the need for hops or do they work well together.
If anyone has used essences with good results and perhaps cheaper than uncle Roy's I'd be grateful to hear
Or is all this just a waste of time and stick to the hops???

Is this the channel you saw?

On this video he tastes all the different porters with different amounts of plum essence and says which is best.

Pretty sure you add the essences when bottling.

My experience with testing was that essences always taste artificial, many extracts however can be delicious and make quite a nice beer. I tried plum essence in various stouts, was rank....

Why don't you send an email to Chris or message him on YouTube as he will respond.I know he has taken delivery of quite a few of these natural essences for testing and in the Vlog @Moe has posted he gives you his method of testing and honest opinion.
Had a look on Roy's website as I'm interested in trying the Plum Porter as his recipes are available on his website for free or £3 donation but if ypu want you can trawl his Vlogs where he gives them out online except they are for 500l batches.

Latest posts

Back