Eu result!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm. Politician/business leader is attributed to an article that states that Brexit could have serious consequences for the UK/British Isles.
Cue howls of rage from the Brexiteers and he/she is called the biggest liar in the world since Captain Fibber McFib set sail in the good ship SS Bigfatliar and is accused of scaremongering.
Politician/business leader is attributed to an article that talks up the Brexit and he/she is automatically assumed to be an absolute paragon of virtue, a golden shaft of honesty who couldn't spin normal political maneuvering if his/her life depended on it.

And, lets face it, on the other side of the coin, the remainers are no better. Can anyone say "confirmation bias"?

I suspect the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes.

I'll admit to eating a bit of kangaroo down here. Cheap, lean, full of protein, and god dam delicious if cooked properly.

The smallest hint of overcooked and it'll turn to rubber though..

Kangaroo is very nice. Usually I marinate it in a sweet plum sauce before chucking it on the BBQ. It's very lean too.

When I was younger, a phrase used by my friends was something about what I would do to a kangaroo "... if it would stop hopping!"

I can't remember the full phrase they used but I do know that nowadays it would be "Marinade a kangaroo in beer overnight and throw it on the BBQ ..."! :thumb: :thumb:

The last time Britain tried to trade with Oz was for a ship load of boomerangs.

The dockers watched the ship arrive then turn around and head back again!

and that was the end of that.

The last time Britain tried to trade with Oz was for a ship load of boomerangs.

The dockers watched the ship arrive then turn around and head back again!

and that was the end of that.

When I made my first trip back to Bristol I took the nieces and nephews boomerangs. We were in the park on a Sunday morning throwing them with some success. Then one wayward one flies off into the distance towards a woman pushing a pram. She looked totally bemused.
"Watch out there's a boomerang"
is not somethings Bristolians are used to hearing. Luckily it missed her.

If you have a couple of hours to spare (God, she likes the sound of her own voice does Teresa) and don't mind losing the will to live, here's a long winded speech that our PM made in April of this year.

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/04/theresa-mays-speech-on-brexit-full-text.html

In the speech Teresa points out ...

"First, we would have to replace 36 existing trade agreements we have
with non-EU countries that cover 53 markets."​

... one of the 36 presumably being Oz!

Enjoy the rest of the speech and at the end remember that my Mum would have said ...

"She must have more faces than a church clock to be in charge of Brexit now!"​

Enjoy! :thumb: :thumb:

I haven't been on this thread in a while as I found talking about brexit really draining. I'm a Briton living in Ireland for a few months and it's all our British guests want to talk about.

An interesting opinion piece: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rexit-may-never-actually-happen-a7148816.html

I wouldn't say the dust has settled on the referendum, but May does seem keen on postponing withdrawal from the EU.

I bet that comes back to haunt him. :grin:

It will be interesting to see how MPs vote on the Bill to introduce Article 50, seeing as a majority are in favour of remaining.

They don't really have a choice.

They either pass it, or face the inevitable backlash.

Agree.

However I wouldn't put anything past a group of politicians.

I highly doubt that the peeps who voted and expected a 100% Brexit are going to get what they expected.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Brexit "designed by a committee" with fudges galore and one foot in with one foot out. Oh, and a massive spin campaign to convince peeps that they are getting exactly what they wanted.

Agree.

However I wouldn't put anything past a group of politicians.

I highly doubt that the peeps who voted and expected a 100% Brexit are going to get what they expected.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Brexit "designed by a committee" with fudges galore and one foot in with one foot out. Oh, and a massive spin campaign to convince peeps that they are getting exactly what they wanted.

I fully expect to see a deal or at least an attempt to broker a deal with access to the single market with free movement ect all remaining the same..

I fully expect to see a deal or at least an attempt to broker a deal with access to the single market with free movement ect all remaining the same..

I'm almost certian that they'll attempt to.

But this isn't one of those issues where everyone going to sit back and say "ah well we tried".

The public voted against freedom of movement and any attempt to keep it will bring hell down upon them.

But in true political style, they probably won't realise until **** hits the fan

The EU certainly won't risk giving the UK access to the single market and restriction on free movement; if they do there'll be an mad scramble from other EU members demanding a similar deal.

The only backlash would be at the next General Election; some MPs are likely to sell out like cheap whores and vote, not according to their conscience, but to ensure they hold their seat. Others may do what we elect them to do - make decisions that are in the best interests of their constituency, region and country.

The only backlash would be at the next General Election; some MPs are likely to sell out like cheap whores and vote, not according to their conscience, but to ensure they hold their seat. Others may do what we elect them to do - make decisions that are in the best interests of their constituency, region and country.

They'd be backlash at the GE, but most wouldn't take it sitting down.

To vote out and then parliament say "not happening, we want to remain" would see people taking to the streets in vast numbers.

....people on the streets...they'd risk it. What do they care if there's riots on the streets? At least there's a good view from the average ivory tower..I still say it's all a fix anyway.
And...don't mention Australia. ..wonder if those Coopers kits will be any cheaper?

Clint

No deal and its massive import duties on German and French cars plus french, german, Italian and Spanish wine. Whats not to like about a bit of South American or Australian plonk?
I swore I would never contribute to this debate since its so devisive...DOH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back