Eu result!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the UK can import cheap Australian food that will undercut prices of locally produced food, put farmers out of business and further damage our trade imbalance. What will the UK export to Australia that they don't already get much more cheaply from China, or that they can't do for themselves?

Free trade in foodstuffs implies no regulations on quality and contaminants. Since that's hardly likely, it isn't free trade.

No deal and its massive import duties on German and French cars plus french, german, Italian and Spanish wine. Whats not to like about a bit of South American or Australian plonk?
I swore I would never contribute to this debate since its so devisive...DOH

If there's no trade agreement, the trade would be under the auspices of the World Trade Organisation, another organisation of "unelected bureaucrats". International trade tariffs are pretty low. It's not the actual tariffs that are the barrier, and introduce costs, it's complying with the regulations of the market you're exporting to. Since Europe is/was a single market the rules are the same across the board.

The British will be able to buy French/German cars if they want them. The question is whether the French/Germans need or want Britain's less tangible products and whether they might be able to entice those companies away from the UK.
https://www.wto.org/

As a German who decided to life in UK I feel betrayed.

Nothing more to say.

I haven't been on this thread in a while as I found talking about brexit really draining. I'm a Briton living in Ireland for a few months and it's all our British guests want to talk about.

An interesting opinion piece: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rexit-may-never-actually-happen-a7148816.html

I wouldn't say the dust has settled on the referendum, but May does seem keen on postponing withdrawal from the EU.

She's given the negotiation job to Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox. I think she's planning on moving to France at the end of her premiership.

Nor me, really. I voted to leave as a tactical vote, to create a situation where we can have another referendum on Scotland leaving the UK. Quite a few people in Scotland did.
Another reason not to have referenda, people vote for perverse reasons and not for what they believe in.

I totally agree with this as a lt of people did not vote just with regards to the EU, they voted to kick Cameron an d to "get their country back" Little did they know that getting the country back just hands it to our politicians to mess up and they are the ones that peoples were voting to kick out.

Wasn't it Denmark who voted out and then had a second referendum to get the right result, same in Republic of Ireland it took two votes as the "people did not understand the issues properly" first time. We could jhave another 10 votes and I don't think the people would understand the issues until the economy reaches rock bottom and it hurts them and then they may see the light!

I've never understood why people keep getting upset about legal immigration when we have such a massive problem with illegal immigration!

The latest estimate is that there are about ONE MILLION illegal immigrants living in the UK ...

... and many of them have been seen by the Border Protection people and then let loose on "trust".

Imagine, you trek thousands of miles across deserts and war zones, risk your life in overcrowded boats and inflatables, stow away in an airless container and get caught by some numpty who says "Go and stay in this hotel overnight and report back here tomorrow so that we can decide what to do with you."

Yeah! Right! You are definitely going to come back tomorrow so that you can be sent back "home"; which is the famine ravaged country in the throes of a civil war where government troops have bombed your house flat and killed your parents.

Leaving the EU will in no way stop or reduce illegal immigration to this country but as long as everyone insists on lumping all immigrants together, the government will do nothing about illegal immigrants.

Please check out this site ...

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/key-topics/illegal-immigration

... and look forward to the time when our government manage to sort out the illegal immigrants ... :thumb:

... maybe they'll export them to Oz as part of a Trade Deal. :grin: :grin:

On the local Sydney radio station there's one bloke who takes a fair bit of interest in all this.

He was pointing out that Norway has a deal with the EU regarding trade etc. I'm not an expert so I don't know anymore details.
He then goes onto say that it cost the Norwegians a huge amount of money to have that deal, and it is constantly updated and they have to prove they can deliver what they promise.
However they still have an immigration problem.

About the vote in parliament. You only have to have the ones who wanted out to vote that way. The rest can abstain. Still it's going to cause a sh*tfight at the next election.

Sending illegal refugees to Australia is not a good idea. Do you see how we deal with them? At least two have committed suicide in the camps recently.
It really is a terrible situation. Recently there was an ex very conservative on the radio who now runs Beyond Blue, an organisation dealing with depression etc.
He was asked how he'd deal with the refugees. His answer. "I don't know". This from a bloke who usually has an answer for everything.

I've got a feeling once you lot leave the EU the French won't do much to stop the illegals making their way to the UK.

You don't need to know a great deal about Norway when you understand:

o £1 = 10.8 Norwegian Krone
o £1 = 1.72 Australian Dollar
o AU$1 = 6.28 Norwegian Krone

Supermarket Prices:
o Bottle of Mid-Range Wine 700ml = NK130 = £12 = AU$20.7
o Bottle of Domestic Beer 500ml = NK28.26 = £2.62 = AU$4.50
o Bottle of Imported Beer 330ml = NK32.98 = £3.05 = AU$5.25

To drink in a pub or restaurant you need to take out a second mortgage on your house; but despite ALL of this the Brexit Brigade kept saying "We could be like Norway!"

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Norway

"Knowing all the answers?" The older I get the more I realise that I don't even know "all the questions"!

I wish I could learn as quick as my Dad. When I was nineteen he knew absolutely nothing but by the time I was twenty-five he had learned so much that I was asking him for advice! :whistle::whistle:

With regard to sending the UKs illegal immigrants to Australia, one of my cousins was sent there in the 50's so it's not an impossible dream!

John's Mum was in the throes of a divorce and a nervous breakdown when the local social work department convinced her that it was a great opportunity for her son to go out to the land of milk and honey and one that he would never get if he stayed in Manchester.

Aged twelve, he was shipped out to work on a sheep farm, treated like a slave, ran away, lied about his age to get work and saved up enough money to buy his own ticket home when he was about sixteen; only to find that his Mum was totally oblivious to what had actually occurred and still thought he was out there enjoying himself.

It turned out that the reason for sending these kids to Oz was that it cost £5 a day to keep a kid in care in the UK but only 10 shillings a day in Oz!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series9/week_nine.shtml

Happy Days? I think not!

... of the people sat in queues at Dover actually voted for some of what is happening to them!

Purely a statistical figure as the misery will be shared 50/50, so I extend my sympathies to anyone caught up in this situation. :thumb:

PS

Signing off for a few days as SWMBO wants to visit relatives in Scotland. Play nicely while I'm away!

If it was a general election no,one would be saying the x party won so we should hold another election in case they really want to vote for the y party because they don't know what the x party is like or understand their policies. .. so how is this different?

... of the people sat in queues at Dover actually voted for some of what is happening to them!

Purely a statistical figure as the misery will be shared 50/50, so I extend my sympathies to anyone caught up in this situation. :thumb:

PS

Signing off for a few days as SWMBO wants to visit relatives in Scotland. Play nicely while I'm away!

I think that was rather a result of the terrible events in nice than how the uk voted. Plus the french have always been keen on causing disruption during peak times and events.

enjoy your break and may the midges not bite you but someone who voted the opposite way to you instead:thumb:

PS

The present Mrs. Marlon & I live 30mins from Dover and would normally be caravanning in France about now. But, by a strange quirk of fate, we're in Scotland instead. Weather's ****, but the place seems empty, no problems getting around. I reckon most of the scots must be sunning themselves on a motorway verge somewhere near Dover.

I didn't know that the Brexit lot were saying the UK could be like Norway. Although I've heard a few good stories about the way the government run things there I realise it's pricey.

Yes all those poor kids sent out here and abused in one way or another. There's a bit investigation / inquiry going on here at the moment which partly covers that.
But the reports on the radio hearing these people talk how they were abused and generally maltreated is awful.

In all honesty if those kids had been sent out here in the 50's & 60's and been treated well life would have been fantastic for them.

The present Mrs. Marlon & I live 30mins from Dover and would normally be caravanning in France about now. But, by a strange quirk of fate, we're in Scotland instead. Weather's ****, but the place seems empty, no problems getting around. I reckon most of the scots must be sunning themselves on a motorway verge somewhere near Dover.

The present Mrs Marlon?

Is there a high turnover of Mrs Marlons?

I agree, I was on the fence the whole way, how can you back any side when they were so sweepingly insulting..

I thought the Politicians both Britian and EU refused to listen to people to the point of arrogance the result and we ended up with two campaigns which were horrible and seemed more about spouting hate upon the other..

Good grief, you're in Warwickshire and if you changed the Britain and the Eu to Labour and Liberal you'd have summed up the general election we just had in Australia.

Nor me, really. I voted to leave as a tactical vote, to create a situation where we can have another referendum on Scotland leaving the UK. Quite a few people in Scotland did.
Another reason not to have referenda, people vote for perverse reasons and not for what they believe in.

Sorry mate, being in Australia and missing out on a lot of Brexit could you explain why people in Scotland thought voting to leave would/could trigger another referendum on Scotland breaking away from the UK?

Didn't the majority of Scots vote to stay anyway?

This is the first time I've heard anything like this.

Firstly Scotland voted overwhelmingly (apart from Moray where it was marginal) in favour of remain.

Secondly the vast majority of leave voters were pro-Union (I believe the stats show mainly Tory voters - for the record I was firmly in the "no" camp at Indy ref but the Brexit result has left me very much me "on the fence" if we had another and I know a lot of people the same). The SNP, who represent the vast majority of those in favour of independence, had a party stance which was very much in favour of remain with the emphasis being that a second referendum would be triggered on a significant change if circumstances - which Stugeon said would be dragged out of the EU against our will.

The present Mrs Marlon?

Is there a high turnover of Mrs Marlons?
Hi Pete, the present Mrs. Marlon is only the second - probably the last - but I always like to plan for the future.

P.S. incase you're wondering, the first Mrs. Marlon didn't like beer...!!!
I mean... there are limits.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back