Every Second (All grain) brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigite

Landlord.
Reaction score
So called cos this is what I make every second time. With slight tweeks :D

Grain
4.0kg Pale malt
150g Wheat malt
300g Crystal Malt

Initial volume 32 litres
Final volume 23 litres
Design efficiency 80%
Design OG 1044
mash in 12 litres @ 67°C for 90mins
spurge with 16.8 litres @77°C (30 mins)
boil 90 mins

Hops
Bitter - Golding 65g for 60 mins
Aroma - Golding 15g for 5 mins (1st try of aroma with this brew)

Brew day.
first try of new recirculation for mash tun cool box. 10mm copper pipe arrived (ebay) on Saturday.)
IMGP0697.JPG

I intend to set up two PID controllers, one keeping the HLT at probably 77° and the second firing the pump to maintain mash temp.
My pump is a solar panel 12V, they are designed to run all day with water at or over 100° so should do fine for me. The power source for now is my old train set transformer.
IMGP0700.JPG

The same pump will either circulate wort through coil in HTL or pump sparge water from HTL
IMGP0699.JPG

Mash tun, simple EH?
IMGP0696.JPG

but seemed to work.
IMGP0702.JPG
Checked my temp in the mash tun every 20 mins and run the pump twice to raise from 66 to 67°. Looking forward to getting PID controllers for this :P

Wort as clear as I've seen :D , mind you, I've never seen anyone else brew.
IMGP0701.JPG

IMGP0703.JPG

The little jacket on the boiler seems to have helped get a good boil; the garage still a bit cool :roll:
IMGP0704.JPG

Tidy up a bit, get the cooling coil ready. I leave the HLT out as I take the hot water from the cooling coil and save it to wash up.
IMGP0705.JPG

Aroma hops will go in a sock, that will then be used as filter; see later. Irish moss hydrating in jug.
IMGP0707.JPG

Yes that is a cup of tea, no beer just yet :( , taking one of boys pals home later, then it's a glass of brew :drink: or two? :cheers:

fish out aroma hops
IMGP0708.JPG

IMGP0710.JPG

IMGP0711.JPG

IMGP0712.JPG

Is there a better way to spend 14th Feb? :whistle:

Gravity check before I pitch starter = 1047
A little higher than I expected but fine.
Made up starter last night; 100g dry extract in 2 litres water, boiled for 10mins cooled the pitched on some of yeast from brew bottled earlier.

If it works all post follow up.

For those better at IBU calcs ? :wha:

I think the 60min golding 65g gives 37 with possibly a further 1 from the 5mins aroma giving 38 IBU. Any thoughts?

:thumb:

Excellent Brewday and Pic's :thumb:
Tis a shame your so far away!
Good looking recipe :thumb:

The same pump will either circulate wort through coil in HTL or pump sparge water from HTL

I Like the clever valve arrangement, got me thinking RIMS now. Havin a ponder, when I get a pump and the new HLT and a PID.....

The little jacket on the boiler seems to have helped get a good boil; the garage still a bit cool :roll:

but you can't see how shiny it is :grin: I should probably do that too but inevitably I'll get sticky wort all inside it when it boils over.

OK, fermentation in the hot cupboard in underway. Good signs of action by 11pm last night and there's a good head to skim off this morning, then a quick rouse and now just need to leave alone for a while. :thumb:

Hot cupboard only at between 20° and 21°, so the fermentation is a little slower than norm but that might stop the overflow.

Time for a Porter? :drink:
See if I can sneek a glass without the boss seeing. :eek: Failed.
Two glasses it is. :cheers:

I do it in the hope that less yuck at the bottom means less chance of off flavours.
Mind you, I will be skimming off some good yeast and that a bit of a bummer.

So I only do it if there is enough dark brown yuck to make it worth it.

I'm sure there's a few on here who can name the yuck?

craigite said:
I do it slightly differently, but achieve the same result.
When the the head has fully formed with all the cold break material and other crud on top, I syphon off into a second primary fermenter.
This leaves most of the un-wanteds clinging to the side and the rest is left in the bottom.
A new, very much cleaner head, forms in an hour or two.
When this head has dissipated I transfer to a secondary fermenter and fit an air lock.
The beer is then left to ferment out.

evanvine said:
craigite said:
I do it slightly differently, but achieve the same result.
When the the head has fully formed with all the cold break material and other crud on top, I syphon off into a second primary fermenter.
This leaves most of the un-wanteds clinging to the side and the rest is left in the bottom.
A new, very much cleaner head, forms in an hour or two.
When this head has dissipated I transfer to a secondary fermenter and fit an air lock.
The beer is then left to ferment out.

So your an experienced participant in the Double Drop technique then EV!

UP

If I had a spare fermentor at the moment I would of had a go at the double drop and see if it makes a difference.
Next time I will have my new fermentors so I will do it then.

Latest posts

Back