Extended boil and faster cool down. Massively Increased trub.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian13

Reaction score
The results seem quite dramatic. I brew 5L batches while I’m learning. Left to right 8 days in primary, 6 days in primary, brewed today.

normally I’ve boiled for 60m and then cooled to pitching temp in about 20m using ice baths and vigorous stirring. Today I boiled 90m and worked extra hard on the cooling getting it down to under 12 minutes.

The amount of trub is at least treble what I’ve seen before. Is this good or bad?

Attachments

• 5490D962-88BB-452C-9361-675C3CED0263.jpeg
    5490D962-88BB-452C-9361-675C3CED0263.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 72
The results seem quite dramatic. I brew 5L batches while I’m learning. Left to right 8 days in primary, 6 days in primary, brewed today.

normally I’ve boiled for 60m and then cooled to pitching temp in about 20m using ice baths and vigorous stirring. Today I boiled 90m and worked extra hard on the cooling getting it down to under 12 minutes.

The amount of trub is at least treble what I’ve seen before. Is this good or bad?
Well, I'm sure it could be either good or bad.
My own experience would tell me that the trub in #3 will compact down over the next two weeks to much nearer that of #1 and #2.

I’m very new to all grain myself.. about six brews in, I’m doing 5 gallon ish batch’s but it’s all relative. I’ve found skimming off the hot break foam has helped me reduce the amount of trumb in the f.v. I’m putting one of the supermarket reusable veg bags over the end of the hose when I transfer from the boil kettle too. I had about 2” of trub in my first couple of A.G brews. Probably about half and inch now

By the look of your photo, the beers you have brewed are very different. This difference alone could account for your change in trub size.

Did you differ your process in any other way?

During fermentation your trub will also compress, as the parts of your beer separate out.

That's said the beer on the right does look to have a rather large amount of trub.

While the first 2 look like the yeast dropping out the third looks to have a lot of break material in the fermenter.

By the look of your photo, the beers you have brewed are very different. This difference alone could account for your change in trub size.

Did you differ your process in any other way?

During fermentation your trub will also compress, as the parts of your beer separate out.

That's said the beer on the right does look to have a rather large amount of trub.

Only difference is a longer boil and much quicker cool down. There was a bit less on the grain bill for the one with lots of trub. 1.1kg vs 1.3kg-ish for the others.

Really interested to see what happens next.

When I started to vorlauf just with a jug that made a huge difference to the trub going into the fermenter. Then when I started lowering the pH the difference to the hot break was incredible. My first guess would have been more roasted malt and a lowering of the pH before you said they were near enough the same.

Latest posts

Back