Facebook

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He REALLY needs to know if his "friend" in Lagos has had his dinner yet or not so he can "like" it,share it with a few thousand people he doesn't know then wait in utter desperation to get affirmation that the post he shared and liked is shared and liked by the person who sent it in the first place. Otherwise he's having a bad day....unless he gets the likes...because no one in work actually talks to him...unless it's a "friend" from another department who ignores him in work anyway...

I have a pal who, every day, posts three music videos. The range of his musical tastes is immense.

I look forward to it.

@Clint - I love the way its called "Social Media" its about as social as sending someone a text message.

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into something like the T.V show - Grumpy Old Men :laugh8:

Social my ****......I like the saying..."it's all over Facebook. .." whatever IT is....someone's dinner is all over Facebook. ...or people post.."off on holiday for two weeks today..." that really means.."we're doing a bit of smug bragging and are really clever but thick enough to say the house is empty..."

I don't care what Facebook do with their users data as long it's covered in the agreement.

A line was crossed in my opinion when they started siphoning up the phone contacts book of their users. So if any Facebook user has put you in their phone contacts then Facebook has all those details about you: email, phone, name, address the lot. All without your permission.

Love it or hate it, it's here for the foreseeable future. I use it and don't let it use me, but I think that it's a generational thing. I would only post anything I'd happily have my wife and kids read and wouldn't dream of posting the dramas the kids seem to love airing publicly. I'm old enough to remember life before "Social media" or when social media was gossiping down the pub.

Love it or hate it, it's here for the foreseeable future. I use it and don't let it use me, but I think that it's a generational thing. I would only post anything I'd happily have my wife and kids read and wouldn't dream of posting the dramas the kids seem to love airing publicly. I'm old enough to remember life before "Social media" or when social media was gossiping down the pub.

Do you have a news feed?
If so; do you think the news that you read on it affects your social and political opinions?

Do you have a news feed?
If so; do you think the news that you read on it affects your social and political opinions?
I use Twitter for news, I never tweet anything but follow news, sport and anything that's a bit of a laugh. Funny thing is, I've never tweeted anything but I've got 15 people following me, I hope they're not holding their breath. I like the randomness of the Twitter feed and just scroll through looking into anything that takes my fancy. As I will follow right and left wing news organisations I try to get a balanced view but I don't take any of it seriously enough to let it sway my opinions.

Hundreds of my ex-students are on facebook, it's fun to follow them in their lives. Some moved out of the country, some got married, or started their own company.

Hmm "news"....I can honestly say I haven't bought a newspaper for 30+ years. The Mrs used to bring home a local rag for the rabbit hutch but that's pushing up daisies now so that stopped.

I use Facebook, and funnily enough all my Facebook friends are actually friends. None of them (including myself) ever post much but that's ok. It's a quick and easy way of exchanging messages and who cares if Facebook scans them, do you imagine when you're on the phone to someone that there isn't someone else listening in? And what about this forum - why is there an advert here about ebikes - that's right I was looking them up on ebay a couple of days ago.
And judging by the advertising I'm targeted with they've got a long way to go before they get it even remotely right...

Just be aware that what China is currently doing, it will be a lot easier to do for those who have lots of social media accounts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/02/13/world/social-credit-score-china-blacklisted

They are giving all citizens a social credit score which will effect their lives for good or bad.

Seems everyone has their eyes wide shut when it comes to what they post on social media. Funny thing is if you walked up to someone and asked for their phone number, address, date of birth and who their friends are, where they work they would tell you to go away. Yet they will post all this on the internet without a thought about themselves or those around them.

I saw it when someone was served in a large chain pub, within 30 minutes they had the full name, address, phone number, date of birth and pictures of their server in their beach wear from a first name and place of work using nothing but web searches and facebook.

You can now ask Facebook, Amazon etc to provide you with all the data they hold on you. An article in the weekend paper showed what they actually recorded. They keep all your voice searches, text messages, phone calls, photos so they know what you look like, what you sound like, who you talk to for how long. Just to sell that for ad targeting seems overkill.

Latest posts

Back