Failed Jam wine experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I intend to some strawberry essence in it, but not for a week or so =) But good idea! I will take a grav reading first and see what to do =) It may well end up being a **** strawberry beer lol And like I say, I don't make mistakes, I make things to learn lessons from to improve for later =)

Ok, so here's where we are at right now. The strawberry syrup 200g idea of which I mixed with 1/4 gallon of cold water about a week ago has worked. It does taste of strawberry tada!! A tiny bit fizzy but there ya go. The problem is that despite every ounce of sugar that this has had thrown at it. (I've now got a reading of 1020. This was an intended small brew. Due to having had to throw more and more sugar and water at it. It has increased the volume of water to what intended to be a short brew to now 5 gallons. So here we go again, yes I know most of you by now what have said you know what? S?DF!"£?!"£!"£ it!

So this morning, I am going to rack, no idea how much sediment that is in there but I am pretty sure there's a hellass load of it. Then gonna rack, add another 1.5 kg and another 100g of strawberry syrup to compensate and then I am gonna call it. Again it tastes weak. I can see this being a long term thang. It will need to age too. But there ya go. I could say, lets use this to make a beer instead. But nah, I have 4 fv's. I am good at this time of year as I am mostly brewing gallon bottles of mead. And then in 4 weeks time I reckon it's done!

I dare say, had I done a straightforward Strawberry mead, this would have worked - and this will be my retry = )

reet so gravity now after a further 3 kg of sugar and 200g of strawberry syrup is only 1040. I concede with this, slapped some ale yeast on it and sod it lol!

This thing remarkably is still bubbling away, albeit rather meekly. I took a reading yesterday and it was 1040 ish. Tasted it, there's a slight alcohol taste there, bit umphish. I think the yeast is having a hard time like honey with the syrup and breaking it down. What sort of gravity should I settle at? I've no idea lol. I am hoping that I can a Fruhli from it hehe. Perhaps Chippy can gimme an idea? It's not a wine, but it's getting close to a fruit beer I guess.

Those yeast beasties must be the size of small hamsters by now! 🤣🤣🤣
Still bubbling away at a fairly mild rate I must admit. Dunno if this will go down to 1020. But I actually started this in December lol

So you have 7kg of sugar, several jars of jam and a bottle of strawberry Syrup - all in 5 gallon?
That would give an equivalent of an og of 1.140 at LEAST!
Even at 1.020 that's showing at 16%abv. More than likely your yeast will be in a complete stupor and will have been beaten to death in to a diabetic heartattack.

So you have 7kg of sugar, several jars of jam and a bottle of strawberry Syrup - all in 5 gallon?
That would give an equivalent of an og of 1.140 at LEAST!
Even at 1.020 that's showing at 16%abv. More than likely your yeast will be in a complete stupor and will have been beaten to death in to a diabetic heartattack.

Nah mate. This was done over stages if you read through it. Wasn't enough over time, and basically over time it turned from being a 1 gallon batch to listening to other peeps advice in the thread hence it went to 5 gallon - the fementables addition I can squarely blame on those that gave their opinion :P It has had two batches of yeast. The second batch was to kick off fermentation again and I only achieved 1060 so i kicked an ale yeast to it as there was no way it was gonna go higher than that. Two days ago it was 1040. Dropping 10 pts per week so far. It does now have a slight kick where as before none, nada, nil point! I reckon I am gonna be lucky to dip lower than 1030. Hence I'll just carbonate it. It tastes slightly sweet atm due to the syrup but deffo strawb. When I kicked off it tasted of virtually nothing ;o

Lawl. Took another measurement today, it's now 1030 - because I have left it near the fire place most likely when the fires been on. If I can get this to 1015 I am gonna call it. Just had a pint of it. MMmm!!! This is nice! (took a sneaky pint) I think 1020 is probably where I should cut it off else it may end up being too dry which imo a strawberry beer should at least taste of strawberry. This leaves it at a rather nice 5.25 % abv or 5.9 at the latter reading of 1015. Besides, I need that FV in a couple of weeks for my en masse all grain adventure =)

I am ending this thread now, thanks for the advice on how to rescue something over such a long period. There's been a good lesson here learned. I surprised this isn't off by now. Thanks for the advice. This has been a phyrric victory but still, it's a failed Jam wine experiment ;d

Latest posts

Back