False bottom grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse my ignorance but why not just clean the maltpipe and bottom screen after the mash and while the wort is coming to a boil. Then just reinsert the maltpipe with the bottom screen and use that to filter the hops, would that not work just as well, or better than a false bottom? Interested in the opinions?
I've heard this done (though not done it myself). Essentially you create a giant hop spider from the grain basket. Seems a simple solution (provided you don't get boilover whilst you're cleaning the grain basket)

I've heard this done (though not done it myself). Essentially you create a giant hop spider from the grain basket. Seems a simple solution (provided you don't get boilover whilst you're cleaning the grain basket)
Should work like giant hop spider but I was thinking if it being more like a false bottom. Why buy something extra when you already have a solution in your armoury?

Should work like giant hop spider but I was thinking if it being more like a false bottom. Why buy something extra when you already have a solution in your armoury?
Personally: I already had a hop spider. It gives me more time to clean the grain basket during the boil rather than rushing to do it between sparge and boil.

If I didn't already have a hop spider I'd probably use the grain basket as one.

Anyone who has the false bottom, anyone found the ring pull nut/bolt a nightmare? Trying to think of a decent replacement for it.

Maybe it's me, but I am wondering why these methods are so labour intensive when the old way was far less so? I mash in a converted coolbox and simply scoop out the grain with a small plastic shovel and then our local farrner feeds the spent grain to the sheep. I use a simple boiler for the hop boil with hops always loose. Again, I just empty the trub out and use the shovel. I have never needed a false bottom or any automation. Just my way perhaps but the great advantage is there is nothing that can go wrong on a brewing day which I can't fix there and then.

Back