Fast food litter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are still targeting specific businesses. Why should only those with drive thrus be forced to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to combat something which is not their fault? It's the public that are the problem not the businesses.
Just make it a licence condition.

I disagree, the vendors have to accept responsibility too.
That doesn't answer the question as to why these specific businesses should be targeted in this way.
Because on rural roads in particular two types of litter dominate, takeaway wrapping and fly tipping. For a minimal investment takeaways could make litter from their chain traceable. It may just encourage more people to think responsibly about how they dispose of their Big Mac carton and polystyrene cup.

Because on rural roads in particular two types of litter dominate, takeaway wrapping and fly tipping. For a minimal investment takeaways could make litter from their chain traceable. It may just encourage more people to think responsibly about how they dispose of their Big Mac carton and polystyrene cup.
Who's going to do the tracing? Are you going to make the food outlets fund gangs of litter pickers and admin staff to inspect the litter and issue fines?

But why is it the businesses responsibility?

But why is it the businesses responsibility?

The vendors make a profit from their sales, the end result is that part of their product ends up dumped at the roadside. Were they not there making a profit, that additional form of rubbish would not exist.

The vendors make a profit from their sales, the end result is that part of their product ends up dumped at the roadside. Were they not there making a profit, that additional form of rubbish would not exist.
If ford (and the rest) didn't make cars nobody would die in road accidents, should they be responsible for all traffic deaths?

Let make make the booze industry pay for the medical treatment of people with alcohol related health issues too. If they weren't making a profit that wouldnt be an issue right?

Cigarettes too?

I agree that litter is an issue I just dont think specifically targeting drivers and fast food places is the way to do it.

Electrical retailers have to "provide a way for your customers to dispose of their old household electrical and electronic equipment when you sell them a new version of the same item." Electrical waste: retailer and distributor responsibilities
So there is a precedent for making retailers responsible for the consequence of their sales. I'm not convinced that collecting registration plates of drive through customers is the right way to do it when it comes to fast food outlets.
We should be reducing the packaging, using bio-degradable packaging, educating consumers and clearing the litter. May be the fast food outlets should be funding all of this.

I agree, it's a far bigger issue that one type of litter and one type of consumer.

People would just tear the registration off and chuck it out anyway I'm afraid.

That doesn't answer the question as to why these specific businesses should be targeted in this way.
Offending businesses should be targeted. Not that printing reg numbers would work.

Just like premises licence conditions are all different. Some pubs don't need security whilst others do.

Offending businesses should be targeted. Not that printing reg numbers would work.

Just like premises licence conditions are all different. Some pubs don't need security whilst others do.
Sure offending businesses, what offence did they perpetrate? Selling fast food to lowlifes?

There was one road I drove every day and was a turn off from the dual carriageway that was exactly 3 miles from McDonalds.
Over the weeks and months I saw one bag containing the same items dropped every weekday in the same spot. It was a regular thing and over time this one individual managed to turn one small section of road into a complete mess.
Obviously the person was aware of chucking rubbish out in view of people but the first quiet road became the tip site.
As people are creatures of habit it would be sensible to use CCTV to prosecute these people. The laws exist - they just need to concentrate on blackspots.

In Singapore littering is enforced - even for dropping chewing gum. Penalties for a first offence can be as much as S$2,000, or S$10,000 for doing it three times. In both cases you may also be forced to clean the streets wearing a green vest.

Most of the problem with fast food litter around here is the teenagers that go up there on a Friday/Saturday night, throw their rubbish about and terrorise the residents (I live at the edge of a suburb, about 200m from a very small leisure park with a gym, McDonalds, a garden centre and an empty unit which looks likely to be some a second, budget, gym).

Registration numbers on the packaging won’t make much of a difference in this situation.

Then credit card number - so long as it is traceable back to the owner of the rubbish.
How many teenagers have credit cards?

Also, most places won’t even print your whole credit card number on your receipts as it’s a potential fraud/security risk, never mind on disposable fast food packaging. Is there even a central database of credit card numbers, and if there is are Councils (as they are the ones who deal with fly tipping fines) legally entitled to access it?

If they dont drive and pay cash? Are we gonna print their face on the packaging?

There may be GDPR issues with car reg and card number as it is.

One cause of litter is old litter bins that are too small for todays rubbish they were not designed to take ten inch pizza boxes even if folded in half, they fill up too quickly if someone jams a box into the bin and then lazy people carry on ramming more polystyrene trays on top these blow out and end up all over the place.

One cause of litter is old litter bins that are too small for todays rubbish they were not designed to take ten inch pizza boxes even if folded in half, they fill up too quickly if someone jams a box into the bin and then lazy people carry on ramming more polystyrene trays on top these blow out and end up all over the place.
That’s certainly not the cause around our housing estate, nor the cause of people throwing litter out of their cars.

The former is teenagers that think they can get away with anything (including pulling out the young hedge plants that the builders have put at the edge of the estate and throwing them at people’s windows), and the latter is fat lazy arses who can’t be bothered taking their rubbish home.

Latest posts

Back