Fast working yeasts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblywalker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
did 2 brews yesterday useing 1098 and 1028,both with 1/2 tsp of nutrient,both packs have been kept in the fridge and I paid extra for cold pacs on purchase. They where 'smacked' 20 hrs before brew time.The 1028 had no expansion in its pack,but I added it anyway because I've never had a problem before.This morning the 1098 is going brilliant,no need to agitate.With the 1028 .......nothing,I've had the drill out 3 times today and nothings moving....am I being a bit premature or is the 1028 a slow starter.(like me in the morning?)
Thanks.

Hi folks,
did 2 brews yesterday useing 1098 and 1028,both with 1/2 tsp of nutrient,both packs have been kept in the fridge and I paid extra for cold pacs on purchase. They where 'smacked' 20 hrs before brew time.The 1028 had no expansion in its pack,but I added it anyway because I've never had a problem before.This morning the 1098 is going brilliant,no need to agitate.With the 1028 .......nothing,I've had the drill out 3 times today and nothings moving....am I being a bit premature or is the 1028 a slow starter.(like me in the morning?)
Thanks.
Did you use a calculator Homebrew Dad's Online Yeast Starter Calculator it could be your 1028 needed a starter to properly get going, I’ve never used that yeast before.

Hi,thanks for replying.
No I didn't use a calculator it's a recipe from Tess & Mark Szamatulski's clone book which I've brewed before using their 2nd choice yeast (1056 American) I had no problems with that.I still wonder if it was a dodgy yeast (hard to swallow at £8.00 plus) there's no activity this morning,it' as flat as can be. I'v given it another whisking,I think i'll leave it to tonight and if nothing's moving throw in a pack of so-5.

Sorry, I'm a wine maker but there's something here I've not come across before. Should I be physically abusing (smacking) my yeast before pitching? I verbally abuse it sometimes "Come on you f****r get to work" but it still takes a good 24hrs to get going.

Last edited:
@LED_ZEP Some liquid yeast is sold in ‘smack packs‘ basically in the pack is a nutriant sachet before you pitch the yeast you put the packet on it’s side locate the nutrient pack within the pack and smack the pack to break it. The yeast starts multiplying and the bag will expand so you know the yeast is viable. The idea also being you can use without a starter although I am aware that many people will still recommend one.

https://wyeastlab.com/smack-pack-activator-system

Latest posts

Back