Fast working yeats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
Guys, sorry to seem dull, but I have just been reading another thread regarding supermarket juice wines, and it explains how they can complete in 7 days, how is this possible? I am not aware of any yeast that complete to a decent ABV in a week, am I missing something.

I have used the turbo yeasts before but the just end up leaving a bad taste from all the extra nutrients, if these yeats are available would someone kindly let me know where to get them from and how to use them

Thanks guys and sorry for asking silly questions!

Both Youngs GP and Gervins GV1 have managed to finish a batch of wurzels in approx 7 days without any nasty tastes.

But I am new to this so maybe I am tasting them with recogising...

I don't think you need any speciality yeasts. A normal general purpose wine yeast, with some added yeast nutrient should tend to do a fairly quick decent job providing: the must is fermented at a reasonable temp, and the must itself is providing lots of things that the yeasties like eg. Wurzels Orange Wine. You'll find that some wines go off quicker than others.

All the years I have been brewing wine, I always assumed that the fermentation process continued after the first couple of months, judging by the replies to my post am I right in thinking that the main fermentation is completed within say 6-8 weeks and the alcohol percentage is already there, and that the rest of the time is just letting the wine age?

Im also now assuming that the alcohol level kills the yeast at a certain stage!

I have had a batch of Plum and strawberry stop after about 12 weeks and I drank the lot, the % was 12.5, It taste a bit yeasty so I assumed the yeast was still present doing its thing!

Sorry for the basic questions but I would love to get it right at long last, as Im getting in to this big time, :cheers:

bandit081 said:
am I right in thinking that the main fermentation is completed within say 6-8 weeks and the alcohol percentage is already there, and that the rest of the time is just letting the wine age?
Yes after this time it is ageing and more importantly maturing ;)

bandit081 said:
Im also now assuming that the alcohol level kills the yeast at a certain stage!
Yes again correct :thumb: depending upon the strain of yeast anywhere between 10 and 25% alcohol :shock:

bandit081 said:
I have had a batch of Plum and strawberry stop after about 12 weeks and I drank the lot, the % was 12.5, It taste a bit yeasty so I assumed the yeast was still present doing its thing!
A "yeasty" taste isn't necessarily the taste of yeast if you get my drift.
Also yeast will continue to convert other components of the must even after it has used all the sugar, hence the need to mature some wines more than others :)

I hope this helps :thumb:

Latest posts

Back