fermentation hasn´t stopped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh123

Reaction score
Hi , I am brewing a Kentish Bitter Kit and it says to leave fermenting for 10 days I am know on Day 13 and it is still fermenting ( airlock bubbling ) .
Should I wait for the airlock to stop bubbling or siphon off the beer .
The SG is at 1010 .

Don't worry the time it take depends on lots of things especially temperature, let it run for a few more days and check it again on Friday if the SG is constant 1.010 move it to the next stage.

aamcle

Sometimes I leave my beer in the fermenter for 6 weeks if I am away at work, even in primary, I brew a lot and not noticed any problems tasting two identical brews side by side, the only difference is one has been in the FV for 3 weeks and one for 6, the one for 6 weeks is usually clearer, if you use the right amount of fresh healthy yeast primary fermentation is finished in 4 days on most "normal beers" 1,056 down to 1,013 or something like that, you can see the yeast and proteins starting to settle and the temp. caused by primary starting to drop.

The instructions from kit producers are usually wildly optimistic as they are trying to get you to believe that you will be drinking beer within 3 weeks of starting the kit. You can be, but it will not be properly conditioned. I usually leave my kits in the fv for at least 2 weeks and some take 3 to 4 weeks. Most of the fermentation will be over in the first few days but, at this time of the year, it will take longer if you don't have a temperature controlled environment.

If you leave for a further week, it allows the yeast to clean up after fermentation and drop to the bottom of the fv. This means less sediment will be transferred when you bottle. Then you want to leave the bottles somewhere warm (or similar temps to when it was fermenting) for 1-2 weeks and then move them to somewhere cooler to condition. You can try samples as soon as the beer is carbed but it will probably be better after a month.

While you are waiting, put another kit on to build up stocks :drink:

Ooops...just realised that I didn't really answer your question.

Bubbles through the airlock are only an indication that something is still happening. The only real way to tell if fermentation has finished is to use your hydrometer. I wouldn't think of doing anything until I have 3 consistent readings on my hydrometer over 3 days. If it is 1.014 or lower (depending on the yeast and starting gravity) then the brew is probably ready to bottle. If it is higher (ie 1.020) then, in all probability, there is a stuck fermentation and I would read the advice on those threads on here.

I would only bottle beer when its stopped fermenting, not when its below a certain SG reading. OP says beer is at 1.010 which is pretty much finished, but not guaranteed. Use the hydrometer and if there is a consistent reading over 2/3 days, its done. But then resist the temptation to dive in and package it immediately, put it in a cold place for a couple of days longer to encourage it to clear, and the reward for that is clear or nearly clear beer going forward but with enough yeast to carb up. And if you dont have a 'cold place' leave it five or six days longer, it will do no harm provided you keep the lid on.

Hi All, here´s an update I have just kegged the Kentish bitter and if it tastes as good as it smells then it will be great.
Final FG 1010 .
I´ll let you all know how it tastes in a few weeks .
Merry Christmas to you all.

Back