Fermentation ... how long ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMLITTLEDEVIL

Reaction score
When making wine or cider, is there an average time the fermentation process should take?

Some brews have bubbled away for 5 days then gone completely flat and other have bubbled away for 10 days plus.

I usually use around the same ammount of sugar in the gallon ie 1.5 kg

The room temp is always roughly the same 23 - 25 c during the day. 18 to 20 c during the night.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Jim

JIMLITTLEDEVIL said:
When making wine or cider, is there an average time the fermentation process should take?
Yes, anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

JIMLITTLEDEVIL said:
Some brews have bubbled away for 5 days then gone completely flat and other have bubbled away for 10 days plus.
Just because it looks completely flat doesn't mean that nothing is happening - use your eyes, ears, nose and hydrometer.

JIMLITTLEDEVIL said:
I usually use around the same amount of sugar in the gallon ie 1.5 kg
F*CK! - That's giving you an OG of 1.125 without taking any other ingredients into account :eek:

JIMLITTLEDEVIL said:
The room temp is always roughly the same 23 - 25 c during the day. 18 to 20 c during the night.
Try to find a shaded corner which keeps around 18-20°C all the time.

Cheers for your help Moley.

My calculation of "sugar in the gallon" does take into account all the hidden sugars from other ingredients.

I usually brew wine and unusual flavour type drinks.

Im working on perfecting a Rum style drink about 18.5 % ABV to be consumed neat !

A cider and black drink and some of the nice tea's are also on the go. Cider will be around 6% and the tea wines around 13 % to 18 %

Post edited by site crew, please take another look at the Forum Rules, particularly the 5th paragraph.

:cheers:

Jim

Latest posts

Back