Fermentation in the bottle/barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnymorris

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm going to bottle my stout tonight which has bottomed out at 1020 and am wondering if I can expect much movement from this in the bottle, i.e. does 'secondary fermentation' have any signifacant effect on specific gravity?

That seems a little high , what was your starting gravity and how long has it been fermenting (i take it you've done a final G reading over 2 to 3 days and its remained constant)? you may want to stir it and leave for a few days more then if you've got a 2nd bucket transfer it to that for a week (4-8 day) to allow it to settle before bottling :)

It is high. It started 2 weeks ago at 1042 and seemed stuck after a week at 1023. I gave it a stir and its only moved to 1020 after another week. It's fairly stable now but I'm conscious that it's high and will result in a week beer at c.3%. I may leave it another week in a second FV as you suggest.

Back to the original question... can I expect it to drop much/any further once bottled?

i dont think it will , another thing i would try is add more yeast just try add same type , but i 'm not totaly sure i'd bet it won't,

1.020 is a bit high for an FG. I'd leave it in primary another week or two and take a few more gravity readings to see if it drops a few points.

Was a starter used? What temp was the beer fermented at? If you don't drop a few more points in a week I would rack to a secondary and pitch another resilient yeast like 1056 that can attenuate down in a stressful environment. I'm not sure I'd bottle at such a high gravity for fear of bottle bombs.

Artiums, don't you ever go leaving this forum. Despite talking a different language, its experience like yours that the relative novices amongst us (or me at least) sign up for in the first place.

I will take yours and Pittsy's advice (already conscious the 1020 is too high) and try pitching some more yeast to get my stout back on its feet.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back