fermentation slowed down too soon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt78

Reaction score
Its my first time brewing and I am using the brewpack brubox London beer.
I started the brew Saturday afternoon and added the yeast that evening when it got to a temp of 20 degrees. All day Sunday I had speedy fermentation and lots of foam, however come monday it has slowed down by about half and most of the foam gone. Am I paniking too soon or should fermentation have slowed at this rate?

I'm not very experienced so others may have better advice but my beer brews never ferment very excitedly (being cooler in Scotland has something to do with it I suspect). I reckon it's just settling down and would suggest leaving it for a week and then use a hydrometer to check the SG.

If SG is low and stable over a few days then you're good to go.

Thanks for that glove81, I'm keeping everything crossed and will take your advise and test with the hydrometer in a while. It just started off with a real fizz for 24 hrs but I think it probably needed to settle.

Its perfectly normal....

the sugars in the brew are a mixed bunch all the simple sugars sound like they have been scoffed during the ferocious activity, but the remaining more complex sugars can take longer for the yeast to much on as they need to first break em up and then eat em so the activity seems to slow down.. probably still going on tho,The acid test is a stable gravity reading 3 days running as mebtioned..

unless you have a brewfridge or similar with a stable temp u can manage its unlikely any 2 fermentations will be the same, even with the same yeast and kit, different ambient temps will effect how the yeasts work. so rely on gravity readings and not time sat in the bucket.

Thanks Fil, there is definatly activity in there as i can still see plenty of bubbles rising. I'm going to put my faith in the brew for a while and then put my hydrometer into action and try to find a stable reading as you said. This is my first brew and I am definatly learning and trying to pick up as much as I can through this forum. Thanks for your advise.

All sounds perfectly normal.

It's so tempting to try and 'rush' early brews, or interfere too much. We've all done it, I suspect.

I would suggest leaving the beer alone for a couple of weeks, and leave it to do its thing.

Latest posts

Back