Fermentation temp (help using camber for the 1st time)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hello all...
I’m a few extract/steeping brews in but about to start all grain. In anticipation of this I have knocked up a fermentation chamber (fridge, Inkbird etc). Problem is I have no idea how to use it (in terms of temperature, I know how it technically works). I have just fermented at room temp in a dark corner so far.
So is there an online guide or link? Reason I ask is because when I read threads people talk of different styles/yeasts at different temps and raising or lowering the temp after a certain period.
Is there a general rule of thumb? Something like pitch mid of the temp range on the yeast packet, then ferment at the lower end and raise for the last few days (as a random example). Keep hearing diacetyl rest as well..
Basically as I’ve constructed it I might as well use it correctly to improve results....

Help...

Thanks in advance boozers...

I mean the point of your new setup is to avoid temperature fluctuations that can happen inside rooms in a house. So the yeast you are using will have a recommended temperature range easily findable on the net

you set your inkbird to basically that and when it goes over it will fire up the fridge to cool back to temp. I dont know whether you need the heating aspect in case your ambient temp is below fermentation temp. but its same principle you just need a heating source

Look a lot of people will talk about raising temp to 23 or so for diactyl rest its homebrew science I would only be doing this for Lager yeast fermentations to hit 14. Ale yeast if you keep temp stable in range let the yeast fully complete its job (it will mop up diactyl at the end) it should be fine. If you are dry hopping I personally will chill down to 10s for ale yeast to ensure no yeast activity

Latest posts

Back