Fermentation temperature control increasing rapidly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Matthews

Reaction score
Hi guys. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/advice?

Got round to brewing my 6th batch yesterday. I started brewing at Christmas and after my first batch built myself an insulated fermenting chamber in a big cupboard in our mobile home we live in while we're renovating our new but broken house. I put a gardening heated propergator upside down on the bottom of the chamber and hooked it up to a underfloor heating thermostat with probe taped to the side of the fermenter. It worked a treat up until this batch having control over the temp. The weather has warmed considerably. Even though the temp in the mobile home fluctuates a lot the cupboards always seem quite cool.

I pitched my yeast into the wort last night at 17 degrees C and set thermostat to same. This morning I checked and it had gone up to 18/19 of its own accord and was bubbling well. The heater hasn't kicked in at all and the temperature of the beer has been free rising quite quickly through the day to where we're at 23 degrees C just 24 hours after pitching. That's a 6 degree rise. Worried my beers going to be effected by this.

I've always pitched low and then let temp rise using my thermostat but normally by a half or whole degree a day.

I'm guessing I shouldn't let it drop in temp now for fear of it stalling so will set the thermostat for 23 degrees incase it tries to drop.

Do you think it's going to be okay? I'm using wlp500 Trappist yeast which can handle going pretty got without causing too much fusels etc.

Think I might need to set up an insulated chamber in the main house from next batch as it's always lovely and cool in there as it has big thick stone walls.

Cheers in advance

Yea I assumed it was the yeast heating the cupboard up as the space around the cupboard felt cooler. Just wondered if I ought to be restraining such a rapid climb? Too late this time obviously.

Thanks guys. I'm just going to let it roll but need to consider moderation for future brews as it's only April and bound to get hotter in the summer.

Yea that yeast sounds great for the summer. Want to get a clean flavoured yeast for trying some pale.ales. was going to get some wlp001 but maybe I should try a kveik?

Latest posts

Back