Fermentation Vessel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many established older UK breweries still use the open fermenters e.g. Black Sheep and York Brewery when I visited about 2/3 years ago, and Harveys perhaps. Marstons Burton brewery uses the Union system which is also open to an extent. If there had been issues with open fermenters in breweries the practice would have been abandoned years ago. I asked the brewer at York Brewery if they had issues witheir open fermenters and got a definitive no they hadn't.

Ringwood still have one, but next to it is a series of shiny closed fermenters. Probably keep the open one for brewery tours and to keep a bit of history. Hands down the best brewery tour I’ve ever done. My ex wife back then was raging having to carry me out of there and drive me home 😂🍺

Does look really nice but over $700 in shipping plus VAT when it arrives and any import fees means I‘m not sure,how,much would be in it price wise.
It works out at around £900 . which isnt really that bad i dont think....if you want a great bit of gear

Fastferment 7.9G with adapter for mason jar trub/yeast collection. Fancied giving a conical a try out, looked at the options, didn't feel the need to go pressure ferment.

Only used once so far and quite pleased with how it went

I'm OK with a 25l plastic bucket with a lid. If I did want to scale up It'd be a big wheelie bin 240l and only £50.
1593030195565.png

lol I'm sure someone must have tried it.

Fastferment 7.9G with adapter for mason jar trub/yeast collection. Fancied giving a conical a try out, looked at the options, didn't feel the need to go pressure ferment.

Only used once so far and quite pleased with how it went
i have a fast ferment and its a great bit of kit . its used exclusively for wines and fruit type boozes. it can take boiling water which for me is great. Only quibble is that the threads at the top arnt that great and you have to really be careful not to cross thread them. id give it an 8 out of 10.

5 gallon Boots fv, circa 1990 still going strong here ( I also have a couple of their pressure barrels in use from same era ) and a recently acquired fv with tap, which I bought for bottling although actually found it easier with a syphon and wand.
I've found it useful having an extra fv for racking off trub or dry hopping mush, also for sterilization process - one to clean,one to rinse.

Back