Fermzilla All Rounder Tips Wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread as there's quite a few on this, but they seem to be a couple of years' old so hopefully there is some additional experience and tips since then.

I ordered an All Rounder (with pressure kit and thermowell) in the BKT sale and hopefully it will arrive Monday. I did ideally want a unitank so I could harvest yeast, but none of these would fit in my fridge and there's no chance of me getting a larger one.

I'm probably not going to fully pressure ferment, but will use it to spund lagers and transfer under pressure.

I also bought a few additions - The G2 Compact Spunding Valve (I already have a Spundy, but just in case they aren't compatible I thought it was a good idea and needed to up my spend to get free delivery), a diptube filter, and a 17psi PRV.

In readiness for its maiden brew (hopefully sometime next week) I have a few questions.

Is the metal handle an aftermarket addition? It seems to be included in most YouTube reviews, but isn't pictured or mentioned on BKT or Kegland's websites.

Is cold crashing possible?

Any tips on best use, or things to avoid?

I would prefer this not to turn into a KL v KK (or others) debate. I did look at the Chubby but I opted for this due to the thermowell.

Last edited:
I have the fermizilla with removable dump pot (and wish I didn't!) The metal handle on the neck is a known weak point, stress causer so I quickly removed mine and don't miss it .

Yes to cold crash but make sure you have over 5psi before starting.
Don't swill it about with the dip tube in as it scratches the inside.
Soft part of sponge to clean it with. No scourers.
Don't use the handle as stated.
When pressure fermenting always leave for 24 hours or until the yeast gets going before closing up the spundy. My KK spundy off shoots into blow off so I can see when it is going.

I have 2 of these, they are both coming up to their use by date and as i only brew at 8psi i will carry on i use the handles and have had no problems, i cold crash and as said above you need 5psi minimum, overall i have been very happy with them, one thing i learned early on was not to tighten the lid to much or you will have a hell of a job getting it off, i also tried s/steel disconnects and went back to plastic which are so much better, to finish they are very easy to clean, top quality product

Get food-grade spray lube, a plastic scale ruler (the tapered edge type to pry the lid open) and a belt wrench (large & small double pack for lid and carb caps. All for less than £20 on Amazon and makes life much easier.
I haven't noticed any issues with the handles as others have mentioned.

If you keg then fill it with StarSan and use the fermentation CO2 to push out the StarSan. When the keg is empty then keep it connected to the gas out of the all rounder and put the spunding valve on the keg.
you‘ll end up with a purged keg at the same pressure as your all rounder, dead easy then to do a closed transfer under gravity.
look out for a cheap/free larder fridge, makes it even easier!

IMG_1984.jpeg

First try it didn't fit in the fridge 😭.

The door has a recess and the bottom lip of that was hitting the frame. If I raise the frame slightly so it's over the lip it closes fine, so will either add something in the bottom of the fridge or trim the lip away

First try it didn't fit in the fridge 😭.

The door has a recess and the bottom lip of that was hitting the frame. If I raise the frame slightly so it's over the lip it closes fine, so will either add something in the bottom of the fridge or trim the lip away
If I recall doesn't the orientation of the stand effect the hight?

Not the prettiest work on the stand, but it will work and is certainly strong enough. Repurposed a kid's interlockkng playmat to help cleanup any spillages too.

Door now closes easily and plenty of height for spunding valve etc.

20230719_153453.jpg

Mine is nearly wedged in because the hump is so big. Worked well for my 30l buckets but not now. Something like you have or a larder fridge is my next purchase.

The thermowell I ordered came with a V1 bulkhead. It went on fine to start with, but there really isn't enough thread to get decent purchase on it (Kegland have since bought out a V2 with longer thread). My current brew was losing pressure through this and I couldn't tighten it up any further.

Big shout out to @BrewKegTap for sending me a new V2 version free of charge under warranty and incredibly quickly (arrived next day). athumb..

Latest posts

Back