Festival Razorback IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Having read great reviews on this kit, I thought I'd try one and have had one brewing for 3 weeks.
Sadly the smell and taste coming from it pre dry hopping is very unpleasant.
This is the 1st time I have had this and its an almost musty smell like BO.
I'm guessing it's infected and better off down the drain.
Hoping it may change I chucked in the dry hops today, probably a waste but thought I,'d try.
I am always thorough with cleaning so I'd be surprised if this is as a result of unclean kit.
Its not an entirely easy smell to describe but wondered if anyone had any idea what this could be?

I'd stick with it I've had a few nasty smells but turned out good in the end wait til bottle time and then inspect it for obvious signs of infection

Tis a fine pint if brewed well. I'd stick with it, you never know as it all changes a lot over time. If it were a yeast infection then it's more likely to be quite dry / tart bordering on vinegary. Three weeks is a long time to leave it in the fermenter, has it been kept at a stable temperature, anything looking like mould growth on it? I'm assuming the hydrometer is telling you it has finished? I'd dry hop for 2 days and then get it bottled or kegged ASAP.

Tis a fine pint if brewed well. I'd stick with it, you never know as it all changes a lot over time. If it were a yeast infection then it's more likely to be quite dry / tart bordering on vinegary. Three weeks is a long time to leave it in the fermenter, has it been kept at a stable temperature, anything looking like mould growth on it? I'm assuming the hydrometer is telling you it has finished? I'd dry hop for 2 days and then get it bottled or kegged ASAP.
that's no doubt the problem the temp has been fluctuating rather a lot when we had the very hot weather even up to 25c!

Forgot to report back here!

It is very nice indeed. Seem to have done a better job with it than the Youngs American IPA I did before it, thanks to the brewfridge I imagine.

10/10 for this kit, very hoppy fruity nose, strong and full IPA flavour. Did a taste test with some pals and compared it with Brewdog Punk IPA and the Aldi Anti-Establishment IPA (both in cans though) and mine won so I was chuffed :laugh8:

Likewise, I have been too busy supping!! Really like this beer, I added the priming sugar to the fv though as I thought it’s a pretty strong brew already so a bit more isn’t going to hurt!! Also brewed short at 21l.... it definitely lets you know it’s a strong beer but doesn’t at all taste like it! Very moreish and full of flavour and I can definitely taste the pine notes... I was planning to put it away for Christmas but only managed to save 16 bottles for the Christmas storage box!!! I’m definitely not sharing this one 👍🏻

I was planning to put it away for Christmas but only managed to save 16 bottles for the Christmas storage box!!! I’m definitely not sharing this one 👍🏻
Why not drink what you have and put another brew on? There's more than enough time for it to be ready. In fact being a hoppy IPA you will find some of the hoppiness disappears, the longer it is stored. In my view homebrewed IPAs are best drunk young to appreciate the the impact of the dry hop, and my experience it's all but gone at four months on.

Why not drink what you have and put another brew on? There's more than enough time for it to be ready. In fact being a hoppy IPA you will find some of the hoppiness disappears, the longer it is stored. In my view homebrewed IPAs are best drunk young to appreciate the the impact of the dry hop, and my experience it's all but gone at four months on.

I have dead phony and MJ aipa on as I type.... With tinsel toes, festival hoppy porter and Belgian dubbel in boxes still to do before Christmas!!! Plus a load of partial mash kits in the wings for next year 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

Back