Festival Suffolk Old Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Piper

Reaction score
I bottled my third kit, a Festival Suffolk Old Ale, two weeks ago. It has been sitting at 21 degrees during that time, and today I moved the bottles out to the garage (about 8 degrees). Before I moved it I cautiously shone a torch through a bottle and it was clear! There was a thin layer of stuff right at the bottom, but the beer was clear. So, I just couldn't resist opening a bottle to try it. I know, it's only two weeks in the bottle. But... it tastes great. There is a good hop flavour, a bit of caramel, a modest head and great mouth-filling body. Best of all, no yeasty after-taste (which I'm still pretty sure is what people call "twang"). It is quite reminiscent of Adnams Broadside (which is what I wanted) but also rather reminds me of German Dunkel beers like Erdinger. It is pretty raw still, and I will leave it at least another 3-4 weeks to mature, but if it tastes this good already then I'm hoping for great things come St Patrick's Day.
acheers.

I changed a few things for this batch, so of course I don't know which bit worked. I used bottled water rather than the scummy hard swimming-pool tap-water that we have hereabouts, I sealed the fermentation vessel with an airlock, I left it for two weeks before bottling, and I bottled it via a second bucket.

Anyway, currently very happy.

One day short of the six weeks but I needed to take my mind off the dreaded bug. So I opened a Festival Suffolk Old Ale. Really nice, and actually not a million miles from Broadside, which is what I wanted to get to. If I was sold this in a pub I'd drink it happily. So I reckon I can safely call this one a success. Makes it worth carrying on, so I'm going to research some other brews. Any ideas for a citrus-like summer beer?

Ian,

You might want to give Festival's Summer Glory a try? From same range as Suffolk and as easy and reliable.

This is a Golden Ale with zesty citrus tones from their choice of hops, and a subtle and very complementary elderflower tone from elderflower addition included in the kit.

First batch has gone down well here. And - due to popular demand - a second batch of Summer Glory is now ready to roll.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back