FG and priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamaman

Regular.
Reaction score
OK, so purely a hypothetical question because no-one would actually be this stupid (ahem).

If a homebrewer were to absent-mindedly add the batch priming sugar and then take the final gravity sample (I know, ridiculous right?) would he/she be able to determine the FG if they hadn't been such a numpty?

Lets play with some hypothetical numbers - if 30g of dextrose added to 10L of beer yielded a FG of 1.022, what would the FG have been before adding the sugar?

Asking for a friend. A really stupid, careless friend.

Running the maths gives 1.15 pts for 30g in 10L assuming the online value of 46 ppg is accurate, so "your friend" had an FG of 1.021.

What was "your friend" brewing? I'm thinking milk stout or barleywine.

Running the maths gives 1.15 pts for 30g in 10L assuming the online value of 46 ppg is accurate, so "your friend" had an FG of 1.021.

What was "your friend" brewing? I'm thinking milk stout or barleywine.
No, a Ritchie's Simply Brown Ale - which had clearly not finished fermenting when 'he' bottled it last night.
To compound matters, the only FV 'he' owns is already in use for something else, so this sounds like a job for the drain... Thankfully, 'he' used PET bottles so hopefully there won't be any explosions before drain and beer make close acquaintance...

No sense in binning it too soon, the PET will indicate if it's overcarbonating and pressure can be released by opening and closing the caps. Ah... if there's no pre-priming FG that means it must not have been checked previously to see if it was stable?

It's hard typing in a manner that deliberately avoids pronouns...

No sense in binning it too soon, the PET will indicate if it's overcarbonating and pressure can be released by opening and closing the caps. Ah... if there's no pre-priming FG that means it must not have been checked previously to see if it was stable?

It's hard typing in a manner that deliberately avoids pronouns...
Yes, the hypothetical stupid idiot got cocky and thought "it's an unadulterated kit, been in the FV at warm ambient temperature for 2 weeks, it'll be done".
And he hypothetically would have got away with it if he'd stuck to his usual routine and taken a FG sample before adding priming sugar and commencing bottling.

Incidentally, the beer currently in the FV that totally doesn't exist is the other half of the same kit (pitched on the yeast cake - it was looking very lively this morning*), so he would have the option of adding some of the stalled beer back into the FV.

* In my imagination. It doesn't actually exist, right?

Yup, you could just a... sorry, he could just chuck his bottled beer back in with the new batch. A friend of mine did something similar recently with cider. `He' had a batch of hard cider made from his own apples which had turned out a bit sharp and he added it back to a batch of Tescos apple juice to make a turbo cider.
Hopefully your friends first batch wasn't a stuck fermentation which doesn't bode well for the outcome.

Back