Filling level

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read an article somewhere ages ago (years) about the best filling level aka how much air gap.

I can't find a thing on it now. I have a mixed collection of glass bottles & I am reviewing how I bottle.

Anyone? Anything? Does it make a difference?

For home brew and hoppy ales, someone suggested 5mm as it vastly reduces oxidation (as there is a huge decrease in the oxygen in the bottle).

I think it was Neale.

Anyway, it's my standard bottling for hoppy ales now.

Yes, it makes a big difference.

I am at about... Oooo... About 🤏... That much... Probably 10-15mm.
My thought was if 25mm would be better. You have now gone the other way. Aaarrg.

Seem to recall a bigger gap was better head?

I also fill to the top using wand and then withdraw (years ago read some blurb that this would leave the ideal gap).

I have also squeezed the PET bottles to eliminate that gap a few times and didn't see any difference in the end product, so don't bother now.

I have been filling close to the top after reading that linked thread. I haven’t done any comparisons but have had no issues with it. Initially I topped up each bottle with a beaker but this ended up being easy to forget, now I angle the bottling wand into the top of the bottle to top off.

After a few spot checks it seems I am around 40mm. My "bottling wand*" seems to calculate that 😂😂

Never had a problem with o2 as I believe the yeast will use. And beers keep OK.

But I will try closer to the top, cos I think it will improve head.

*party tap and gas hose

Lots of information including manufacturing marks mould numbers fill hight is in mm. The ones I use its 52mm that's from the top of the bottle

Latest posts

Back