finings problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackem brewer

Reaction score
this might seem a bit off a noob question but here it goes lol
my problem is I have two 1 gallon brews of wine but only 1 finings packet (for a 25l wine brew)
could I split the finings between the two or would that be too much? or should I keep it till I brew a 25 litre of wine and buy a different finings?

not sure about splitting it but i use vinclear its only £2.30 a bottle and treats a few gallons

What finings have you got?

Do the instructions say “treats up to 25 litres”?

I would probably split it.

yep thats what it says :thumb:

its a youngs U brew packet sufficient for up to 5 gallons so I'll try splitting them when the wine needs clearing, next time I'll get some of that bottled stuff to make my job easier

Up to now I've always used Vinclear like fran mentioned. That's a one-shot isinglass finings, with which I was quite contented.

However, I think I am now switching my allegiance to another HBS and he sells Ritchie's ‘Kwik Clear’, a two-part kieselsol/gelatine finings, which I have only started using for the first time in the last month, sufficient to clear 30 gallons for which I paid £2.20.
Works just great :thumb:
You need some small spoons though, like quarter and half tsp, or a small syringe.

slit it and its working great wine should be ready in a week or two :cheers:

I'll be ordering the vinclear for the next lot of brews so I dont have the trouble next time lol

I use Kwik Clear and found you can use the bottle cap to measure out the required amount.

Back