finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer28

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and hope this is in the correct place so here goes. I know its down to individual preference but can anyone point me in the direction of good quality beer finings. Pretty new to brewing kits but I was wondering if some finings are better than others?

My local store has some in a sachet. Costs about £1.50.
Last week I bought 250ml of Vinclear, although I'm not sure it's any more cost effective than the sachets.

Hi all, new here and hope this is in the correct place so here goes. I know its down to individual preference but can anyone point me in the direction of good quality beer finings. Pretty new to brewing kits but I was wondering if some finings are better than others?

I use Kwik clear on wine which works very well, i havent used it on beer as yet though.

I only use a protofloc tablet in the boil and my beers usually end up crystal clear.

However, I am thinking of brewing a Grodziskie which traditionally used finings as it is a wheat beer that is drank clear. I don't want to use isinglass as my wife is vegetarian- does anyone know of any decent vegetarian finings?

I only use a protofloc tablet in the boil and my beers usually end up crystal clear.

However, I am thinking of brewing a Grodziskie which traditionally used finings as it is a wheat beer that is drank clear. I don't want to use isinglass as my wife is vegetarian- does anyone know of any decent vegetarian finings?

Egg whites?

Unlike AG or extract brews with 'additions', you don't really need finings for a kit.
Other than the yeast there's usually nothing in the brew that needs finings addition, unless you have put it in there (e.g. a mini mash with torrified wheat). If you dry hop the particles will be filitered out or settle in their own time.
If you have cloudy beer it's an indication that it's not ready (wheat beers excepted).
Give it enough time and it should end up crystal clear, which, 9 times out of 10, will also give you a better beer anyway.

Could you use gelatin as this will just grab the proteins/particles then drop our of suspension and not end up in the bottle..or strain it through OLD £5 notes!

Cheers

Clint

Could you use gelatin as this will just grab the proteins/particles then drop our of suspension and not end up in the bottle..or strain it through OLD £5 notes!

Cheers

Clint

It's still used and in contact with the beer though so it's a no-no.

I hadn't thought of egg whites but haven't a scooby where to start with them - wouldn't they curdle in the alcohol? Or is that the point.

Would vegegel work? I've seen in mentioned a few times but nobody has confirmed whether or not it actually works.

My LHBS recommended Bentonite for clearing wine as SWMBO can't have the fish/shellfish based finings. Not sure if it would work on beer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the Gelatin
I buy a pack of Gelatin sheets from the baking bit in the supermarket.
One sheet does me for a 5 gallon brew.

Back