Firm stuckment ;-)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
Back in February I started a Tea & Caraway from Berry’s book. It was dreadfully slow to start, and seemed to be limping along. I pitched in a little more yeast to no avail, tried Restart a bit later, but it was still tragically reluctant, and wouldn’t shift from about 1.020 so I put it aside. It’s still virtually comatose, except for som3 bubbles (see pic). I fear these are only CO2, even though there is the occasional bubble through the germ lock.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

AC47C235-0D30-4D38-AEDB-A02E4B3BD36E.jpeg

Starting gravity? Yeast used? Could all.factor in if its hit its limit, does it taste really sweet? Some additives can give an off hydrometer reading but have finished fermenting the sugars

Back in February I started a Tea & Caraway from Berry’s book. It was dreadfully slow to start, and seemed to be limping along. I pitched in a little more yeast to no avail, tried Restart a bit later, but it was still tragically reluctant, and wouldn’t shift from about 1.020 so I put it aside. It’s still virtually comatose, except for som3 bubbles (see pic). I fear these are only CO2, even though there is the occasional bubble through the germ lock.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

View attachment 55031
Sometimes when mine go slow a quarter teaspoon of.nutrient introduced gets it up again as if it may be lacking

O.G. 1090 using Young's Super Yeast Compound. It does still taste dreadfully sweet, still registering 1.020 :-(

No harm in chucking in 1/4 tsp nutrient though!

O.G. 1090 using Young's Super Yeast Compound. It does still taste dreadfully sweet, still registering 1.020 :-(

Shouldnt have problems with that youngs stuff, that ferments to about 21% with careful steps taken, anything under 18% it plows through.. not sure what else to suggest, sometimes you'll just get a batch that does not wanna do its job, and there is usually nothing to be done it is just an odd failure 1/100 of the time stuff just happens, keeo us posted

I must say tho tea and caraway have basically nothing to help the yeast, so it definitely would help having extra nutrient and maybe some acid

Last edited:
Back