First AG brew questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Raven Brewery

Reaction score
Hey,

So I am new to AG brewing and I haven't actually made any beer in years (previously it was partial mash brews). In a few weeks I'm getting some more gear and me and my partner are planning on making some beer.

I put together this (Easy AG Amber Ale | No Profile Selected All Grain Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend) based off the brewers friends beginner friendly recipes. This might be too broad a question but does it seem right?

I am hoping to get 25L of wort at the end if possible and not sure if I am missing something or got some of the numbers wrong?

Thank you.

All looks good to me. Ul be left with 22lt after your boil. But don’t worry too much about your post boil amount, you say it’s a new system, so you won’t know how much you will loose to evaporation.

Last edited:
Welcome RavenKing.
It's a bit of a headache working in Lbs and litres,
I think your OG is going to be over 1050 and I don't think you've got anywhere near enough hops for such a rich malt profile. The BJCP style guidelines suggest 25-40 ibus for an American Amber Ale (which yours seems to be) and I'd be looking to go for the full 40. Moreover, my experience is that Tinseth calculations for hop additions are not all that good and the beer end up under-bittered. I'd suggest raising your first hop charge to around 30-35 like ibus ie 2 oz of Willamette or more. Frankly, if it were me, I'd chuck another ounce in for the last 30 minutes, too.
reg Hughe
As you're still cutting your teeth with AG, why not get one of the standard brewing books and work through the recipes of the beers you'd like to try, taking careful notes along the way. A lot of people on this forum rate Greg Hughes, others like James Moreton. Either is ok and there are plenty of others.

Last edited:
All looks good to me. Ul be left with 22lt after your boil. But don’t worry too much about your post boil amount, you say it’s a new system, so you won’t know how much you will loose to evaporation.

yeah I suppose all I can really do is my best and see where I end up at the end volume wise =)
I'm looking forward to the learning process and if I get a beer at the end then even better haha

It's a bit of a headache working in Lbs and litres,
I forgot to set the weights back to metric after taking the imperial measurements from the site haha

What you're saying about the hops makes sense. I've set it to grams and then double both hop charges and it brings it up to considerably.
I've got a little time before any equipment shows up and I haven't got any ingredients yet so I'll check out those books, thank you. I really appreciate it.

Back