First AG brew..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledAdam

Reaction score
So decided to give a BIAB a go after doing some good, and some bad kits.

I used the following:
1.5kg Marris otter
150g crystal malt
7.5g fuggles at first boil
15g fuggles + Irish moss 5 mins before end.

I used 4.5 litres to mash and 6 litres to sparge, so I think I've got around 8-9 litres? I wasn't overly prepared and didn't really leave myself enough time, ended up cutting the boil down to 50 mins as was running out of time, hope it won't affect too much?? SG came out at 1040.

I brewed it up on Saturday eveving, and couldn't resist a quick peek inside the FV today lol, it was bubbling a little and was some big lumps floating around :/
What sort of length of time should I be leaving before considering bottling?

Any tips on where I've gone wrong, what I can improve on or what I need to do differently would help!

It sounds fine, boil length not ideal but should be ok. Allow two weeks on fermenter at least, and make sure it finishes fermenting.

Ok great thank you. I just couldn't resist having a peek today!
I will definatly be better planned next time, I really didn't realise how long it would take. It's all a learning process though!

So decided to give a BIAB a go after doing some good, and some bad kits.

I used the following:
1.5kg Marris otter
150g crystal malt
7.5g fuggles at first boil
15g fuggles + Irish moss 5 mins before end.

I used 4.5 litres to mash and 6 litres to sparge, so I think I've got around 8-9 litres? I wasn't overly prepared and didn't really leave myself enough time, ended up cutting the boil down to 50 mins as was running out of time, hope it won't affect too much?? SG came out at 1040.

I brewed it up on Saturday eveving, and couldn't resist a quick peek inside the FV today lol, it was bubbling a little and was some big lumps floating around :/
What sort of length of time should I be leaving before considering bottling?

Any tips on where I've gone wrong, what I can improve on or what I need to do differently would help!

Hi, The short boil will probably take your FG down a little lower than you anticipate, also the irish moss would be better being added for the last 15 mins instead of 5 mins.

Bottle it when it stops fizzing :grin:,,, when the fg stays the same over three days, then stash it for a few weeks (if you can, brewers don't have much patience !).

I would have used 10 ish gms on the first boil but then again I like it hoppy !

Should turn out a good brew.

Regards

Back