First AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use photobucket
Or image shack
Image shack is trial period but easy to use either
Take your pics
Then open up photobucket
Then press the upload button up arrow
Then chose from photo library
Then chose code for forum scale down the size
Etc
:thumb:

You need to load them to photobucket or similar. If using the photobucket app it's dead easy, copy the link with

Your hop schedule looks good too, what recipe is it?

Edit: just re-read your first post and I now know the answer :oops:

joe1002 said:
Your hop schedule looks good too, what recipe is it?

Edit: just re-read your first post and I now know the answer :oops:

At least it's not just me that does things like that :lol:

Just an update, bottled this today. SG of 1044 & FG of 1006 so that gives an ABV of 5% and I'm pleased with that. Tastes ok too, well as ok as flat beer can
That's the easy bit done, now the hard bit of waiting till it's ready :nono:

I did this brew as my AG#3 and enjoyed it early but it has now been 3 months in the bottle and the flavour has improved so much. Be patient it's worth it :thumb:. Now with that recommendation I think you should start planning AG#2.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still deciding wether to wait and see what it's like before investing in the equipment, if you've read earlier posts in this thread you'll know why, or just go and get it cos everyone says it's much better......decisions, decisions :wha:

Seen as it's your first AG I'd probably say try a bottle a week. For me I was amazed how good the beer tasted while young compared to kits. It will also let you experience the change in flavours over time. If I hadn't tried the beer young I wouldn't have known how much the hops came into their own after a bit of time.

In terms of the cost of a set up my advice is to go cheap with plastic and get into AG and then later on you can gradually upgrade vessels to stainless. At the moment I'm doing BIAB using a wilko FV with 2 kettle elements and a bag made from some dunelm voile. Overall the total cost was probably about £30 and I will be doing AG#9 next weekend so at the moment it works out at £3.33 equipment cost per brew. I will be upgrading kit soon but to larger plastic for longer brew lengths and the current kit will be kept for smaller brews. I'm not trying to tempt you away from stainless as it does have many advantages over plastic but starting with plastic could help you spread costs.

Update

Well guys it's been 2 weeks in the bottle and until tonight I'd resisted the temptation :drink:

Steve said:
For me I was amazed how good the beer tasted while young compared to kits

I totally agree with you Steve, so young but tastes so good, I'm amazed. I know all the AG brewers on here say this but it's hard to comprehend till you've tasted it.
I can't wait till it's a few months old.......if it lives that long :lol:

Well it's all now gone into a cool dark place to live and I've got to try and forget about it, out of sight out of mind......yeah right :lol:

It is good advice to try it week on week.

I usually start drinking about three weeks in and I notice that it is all about the hops. The following week has the malt on the foreground and by week 6 there is a balance.

From then on in there is a subtle change each week.

The big thing I've noticed about all grain is the flavour from the grains. I have never noticed that in a shop bought beer.

I noticed a difference straight away to be honest, there's so much difference from a kit which, from my experience, is only getting somewhere drinkable at about 6 weeks but improving over the coming months. This was amazing at 2 weeks!!!
God knows what it'll be like at 3 months :drunk:

Latest posts

Back