First All Grain Sanity Check - Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenivida

Reaction score
Hi again.

Next question.

I Intend to brew a stout as my first all grain brew

here are my ingredients for a 22 litre batch

3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (4.9 EBC)
1.00 kg Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)
0.50 kg Black Malt (1300.0 EBC)
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)
50.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
50.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg British Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M07)

Question is am I adding too much colour giving grains and will it adversely effect the taste? Colour comes out at 113 EBC on BrewSmith!

Thanks
Jenivida

Not over qualified here, but I would ask whether the ratio of base malt to adjuncts and speciality grains looks right?

For a first effort, maybe reduce the adjuncts and specialities by half and replace with base malt? Much easier to add than take away, as it were.

Am going to put this into the brewing software, and see if it says anything interesting.

I think I sort of see the thinking on this recipe - out of a total of 5kg you cant make no more than 20% of it Flaked Barley and you can't make more than 10% of it either Chocolate of Black.

It seems to make little difference in BrewMate v1.26 to the ABV.

Except that there is an underlying assumption built into the calculations in the software that there are sufficient enzymes in the base malt to provide the "diastic power" to convert the sugars in the other stuff.

I don't think 60% base malt will be enough, although I have no objection to being told otherwise.

It just can't work properly, can it?

So I am guessing best bet is to reduce the black and chocolate to .25 which will up the pale malt to 66% base malt.

That would also bring the colour back into more normal zones.

Thanks Slid

I'd tweak it a bit, 1kg roast malt is too much IMO.

3.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (4.9 EBC)
1.00 kg Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)
0.30 kg Black Malt (1300.0 EBC)
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)

Not sure you need the 10 minute hops either, I'd cut them down at least, 25g perhaps.

And I'd go for a clean yeast like US05. Or MJ West Coast or whatever it's called. Trust me.

Thanks Clibit

When you say clean yeast do you mean one with less flocculation?

J

Latest posts

Back