first attempt at home brew wine came out watery what to do??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey1967

Reaction score
Little help I made a pineapple and passion fruit wine using ingredients bellow its turned out very watery :wha:
no body and very sharp flavours it was my first attempt at brewing so I think its very drinkable and has cleared and looks like a white wine but fruit flavours lacking and no body I have bottled it as I will be drinking it :drink: but just don't want this happening again

1lt pineapple
1lt passion
500ml red grape
300ml apple
topped up with water
300g sugar added SG 1082
also added 1tbs tannin

any tips for my next 3 going on tomorrow as I am off so making 3 versions of polish syrup wines :party:

I don't see how you got 1082 out of that. Unless it was grape concentrate rather than juice.
A tbsp tannin? Or a tsp?

I am just going on my notes and readings to be honest was my first attempt so most probably miss added something and it was half tsp put in it so I take it that was not enough. it does taste strong and if drank the bottle would feel it but its more the watery texture and lack of fruit flavours that's bugging me
I will follow the recipe on syrups to the letter as best not to run before I can walk still good fun experimenting and turned out not to bad for a first attempt
what abv do you think this is at?

You could do with altering the grape/fruit juice ratio more in favour of grape juice. Adding tannin would also help at 1 tsp per gallon. Also try adding sultanas about 25g per gallon, as they also add body. As for the fruit taste, some fruits come through the fermentation stage and others don't. Mango for instance comes through very strong even if only a minor component. Adding zest also helps to improve fruit flavour and aroma. I regularly use 1 grapefruit zest per gallon, but you can also use other citrus fruits.

Well gelatin can help add a bit of mouth feel to the wine so you could add a bit of that to help it improve a bit. But I've brewed a couple of brews that I've felt lack a bit of flavour and are on the watery and non distinct side, they dramatically improved with ageing. I noticed a difference in the flavour every month and seemed really quite good by month 3.

mikey1967 said:
what abv do you think this is at?

If it was 1082 then it ought to be about 11.5%
But from what you wrote I don't see enough sugar to get to 1082

I just went and got 4lt wgj, 2lt rgj, 2lt blueberry juice and 4lt apple juice. also raspberry, cherry and strawberry polish syrups
I intend to make the 3 syrup wines and a blueberry wine

I am going to follow moleys recipe as I seen on the post about these syrups but how can I make my blueberry it is 15% blueberry rest water but i hope to end up with a light blue wine and hope the fruit flavour comes through
moleys recipe for syrups
1 litre White grape juice
500ml Red grape juice
1 litre Apple juice
600g Sugar
1/2 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp Citric
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Young's Super Yeast Compound
Water to 4.5 litres

I will add one 440ml bottle of Polish cordial (less a little taster) to each after a week or so.

There's quite a bit of sugar in the cordials, so after adding them the net OG will have been around 1.090"

glycerine added and seems to be better going to try and leave it all for weeks now see how that goes :D

Latest posts

Back