First attempt at small scale brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
Decided to try and develope a system for small scale brewing. Mainly as a way to try out test recipes, but also to make some super strong barley wine style brews that could go into 250 ml bottles.

Basically got a 2 gallon igloo and a grain bag. Had a first go yesterday.....just thought I'd give it a go and see what problems were.

Main issue was sparge / lautering. I didnt modify water cooler in any way, and grain in the bag tended to block outlet. Turned into quite a lot of buggering around. I ended up using far too much water so had a large volume of pretty dilute wort. After boiling down I ended up with about 6 L with an SG of 1.073.

I used 3.3 kg of grain so my overall efficiency was much lower than my large scale method.

Think I'm going to get a proper tap fitted (off to plumbing shop this AM) and rig up some sort of false bottom to stop grain bag blocking wort outflow. I'm sure this will improve sparging/ efficiency.

Interesting little project though.....

20210424_082124.jpg

Latest posts

Back