First Beer Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye

Reaction score
I put on my first brew a Wherry last wednesday (25th) my o.g. reading was 1040 and i left it until yesterday to take a hydrometer reading. The reading i got was 1020 and it appears the fermentation has stuck. After reading many threads on here i roused the yeast and bubbling soon appeared in the airlock. I took another reading today and the hydrometer is now down to 1016.
I intend to leave it now untill sunday and i will bottle the brew.

My question is about Yeast Nutrient really, i have read on the forums that many people add nutrient when they mix up these two can kits as they are prone to sticking. I plan to do an imperial stout as my next brew and try adding yeast nutrient to avoid a stuck fermentation. The yeast nutrient i have is made by youngs but appears to be for wine! Can i use this when mixing up my next brew?

You shouldn't really be needing yeast nutrient for kits, I would like to think the condensed wort you're provided with should have all the nutrients in your yeasties need, the possible exeption being zinc though it would be a poor show from the makers of these kits not to include that either.

Normaly wort contains most of the nutrients naturally that yeast need, as stated above the one exeption being zinc. this is the reason that yeast nutrient is marketed more towards winemaking, as the must for wine usually doesnt have the full range of neccessary nutrition.

If you do intend to put nutrient in, the nutrients for yeast in wine should be the same for nutrients that beer yeast like also.

Mephistopholes said:
You shouldn't really be needing yeast nutrient for kits, I would like to think the condensed wort you're provided with should have all the nutrients in your yeasties need, the possible exeption being zinc though it would be a poor show from the makers of these kits not to include that either.

Normaly wort contains most of the nutrients naturally that yeast need, as stated above the one exeption being zinc. this is the reason that yeast nutrient is marketed more towards winemaking, as the must for wine usually doesnt have the full range of neccessary proteins.

If you do intend to put nutrient in, the nutrients for yeast in wine should be the same for nutrients that beer yeast like also.
Thank you for your very informative reply. I have been reading many threads on forums about stuck fermentation and wherry in particular. I have enjoyed the process of making beer so far, and i can't wait to sample my first brew. :drink: And i will be patient! :D

Back